POLO | Red Downs Skidmore, Remains Undefeated

By ELANI COHEN

Both the Cornell women’s and men’s polo teams toppled Skidmore College this past weekend at home. The women’s squad crushed the Thoroughbreds, 28-10, while the men’s team had a tighter match, taking a 21-17 win. The teams continue to defend their undefeated titles.

Seniors Hakan Kararbey and Nick Stieg started the match for the Red, along with sophomore Ignacio Masias. Masias had a strong showing, scoring four goals during the first, and the Red ended the chukker with a 5-4 advantage. The second chukker began with a lot of back-and-forth play with goals from both teams. However, midway into the second, the Thoroughbreds had a six-goal scoring streak to take the chukker, 7-1. The teams went into the second half with an overall score of 11-6 in Skidmore’s favor. The third chukker began with the replacement of Karabey and Stieg with senior Alex Langlois and freshman Kamran Pirasteh  and a quick three goals. The teams traded off a couple of goals until the Red scored five unanswered goals and took back its lead. The Red continued its lead throughout the fourth chukker. The match ended with a final score of 21-17.

“Overall it was a very tough game. We did not have a strong first half, but we managed to improve and turned it around,” Masias said. “Although it wasn’t our greatest game, we showed instances of the level we are capable of playing.”

Pirasteh tallied nine goals, followed by Masias with eight, Langlois with two and Karabey and Stieg each scoring once.

Stieg echoed Masias’ sentiments and credited Langois and Pirasteh for getting the Red back on track in the second half.

“Unfortunately, we got off to a slow start in the first half of the game. None of the starters were playing particularly well, so at half time, Alex Langlois and Kamran Pirasteh were subbed in,” he said. “They played a fantastic second half to come from behind and win the game. Hopefully the lackluster play this past weekend will be out of our systems as we head to UVA this Friday, which is always one of our toughest matchups.”

The women’s team earned a decisive win against the Thoroughbreds. Sophomore Emma Eldredge as well as juniors Elena Wicker and Anna Winslow were starters for the Red. The match started with a quick three points by the Thoroughbreds. As the first chukker went on, the Red tradedgoals with the Thoroughbreds, closing the chukker with a one-point lead. Within the first few minutes of the second chukker, Winslow scored four goals to help the Red end the first with a 13-7 advantage. During the third chukker, Winslow scored another five goals, which allowed Cornell to take the chukker, 7-1. Junior Claire Stieg replaced Wicker in the fourth chukker, and the Red continued defending its lead. The match ended with a final score of 28-10 in Cornell’s favor. Winslow had a high scoring match: she tallied a total of 17 goals while Wicker and Eldredge followed each with five goal and one pony goal.

Eldredge said that the Red’s teamwork improved after the second chukker and was a contributing factor in the squad’s win over the Thoroughbreds.

Senior Nick Stieg, who scored a goal in the matchup, is one of five seniors leading the squad. (Connor Archard / Sun Sports Photography Editor).