LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Calling all Campus Conservatives

To the Editor:

Re: “GUEST ROOM: Embracing Monogamish,” Opinion, Nov.  6.

In his Nov. 6 column “Embracing Monogamish,” guest writer Masc. Dom. Top laments on his love life and struggles with monogamy. More importantly, in the first paragraph he takes a direct jab at The Cornell Review, the campus’ conservative and libertarian publication, by implying Review members are anti-gay because we stand for “good ole ‘traditional’ American family values.”

While The Cornell Review does occasionally criticize the campus LGBTQ community — as it criticizes many other campus groups — this does not mean Review writers are inherently prejudiced against those who identify as LGBTQ. Additionally, no published article under recent editorial leadership has ever concerned or promoted “American family values.”

Mr. Top thinks he can make these flippant remarks and slip on by unabashed. But for far too long conservatives on campus have been on the receiving end of this type of unwarranted chiding, with outright falsities passed on as fact simply because they fit the liberal-progressive political narrative: conservatives are all homophobes, sexists, racists, etc.

Never is there even a shroud of evidence to back up these asinine claims. The reason is because there is none. But for those cowering behind this rhetorical cloud there is nowhere to turn. Without the name-calling, the liberal-progressive political ideology is revealed as what it truly is: empty.

Cornell’s conservatives must no longer let this type of behavior go unchecked. It is our own fault to have let it come to this point, and, sadly, we have become just as spineless as most of our criticizers.

In close, Mr. Top, I hope you and those who share your views about the Review prepare evidence the next time you wish to call us out. In the mean time, I wish you the best of luck in maintaining a happily monogamous relationship.

Casey Breznick ’17

Editor-in-Chief, The Cornell Review