EDITORIAL: Redrafting Ivy Athletic Eligibility

Unlike some of our peer institutions, athletics at Cornell are not always seen by students, administrators and alumni as the University’s top priority. Still, for many, collegiate athletics play a transformative role in shaping an undergraduate experience. To delineate the balance between academics and athletics, the Ivy League created a code outlining the rules for athletic eligibility at each college. This policy allows students to compete for four seasons in a given sport, but only during their first eight semesters of education. Additionally, students who have completed their undergraduate degrees on time or early become ineligible to continue playing for their respective teams, even if they choose to attend graduate school at the same institution.

These policies, although well-intentioned, are antiquated and enforced unequally with no clear outcome as to how an appeals process will end. Now is the time for the Ivy League schools to reconsider the policy in favor of system that gives athletes the ability to make choices they have come to expect at an institution of higher education in the 21st century. Currently, the National Collegiate Athletic Association places a four-season limit on student athletes, with the Ivy League being the only collection of schools in the country that would ban a student athlete from completing all four seasons of eligible play if he or she has completed an undergraduate degree.

This policy is often enforced sporadically across the league. Students involved in the 2012 Harvard cheating scandal maintained a year of academic eligibility by taking a leave of absence before the first game of the season, an obvious loophole in this policy. Other students, including Cornellians, have not fared as well with regards to athletic eligibility. For instance, Errick Peck ’13, a student in the School of Hotel Administration who was injured at the tail-end of his sophomore year, petitioned for a waiver for a fifth year of Ivy athletic eligibility, or his fourth season on the team. Unfortunately for Peck, the school denied his petition and he was left to find a new school to compete at in only two months. Similar stories are not uncommon throughout Cornell and the Ivy League, as highlighted in a Sun investigative report Wednesday. All of this makes one point clear: The vague implications and restrictions of the waiver process push student athletes to jeopardize their eligibility if they cannot compete in all four seasons as undergraduates.

By forcing a student to choose between his or her alma mater or athletics in these situations, the Ivy League is pushing many into uncomfortable situations. These students, essentially driven out of the Ivy League, often make the decision to leave the college where they spent years developing friendships and becoming a part of a community on their respective campuses. No student should be compelled to leave his or her school because of a desire to participate fully in all four years of athletic eligibility.

We urge Cornell and the administration to take the lead among the Ivies in addressing the problems surrounding athletic eligibility. While athletics may not be the University’s top priority, enhancing the student experience and curbing nonsensical policies must be prioritized by Day Hall. Rewriting athletic eligibility clearly falls under this concern.

2 thoughts on “EDITORIAL: Redrafting Ivy Athletic Eligibility

1. [url=http://www.brandiwc.com/brand-36-copy-0.html]グッチ スーパーコピー非常に優美かつ独特で、ずっと優雅な姿で潮流の最高峰に立って、流行に引率して 豪華スーパーコピーブランドお楽しみください!弊社は個性あふれるブランドコピー、すばらしい デザインと高品質を兼ね備えるスーパーコピーバッグ、優雅の魅力があるのスーパーコピー財布など人気商品が続々入荷![/url]

2. [url=http://www.newkakaku.com/coq1.htm]財布のコピー 時間を発表しますとても長くてとても長い前、人類はすべて更に赤く双足は歩いています。1人の国王はある辺鄙で遠い田舎の旅行に着いて、路面がでこぼこなため、とても多くてばらばらな石があって、刺すのは彼の足を得ます痛くてしびれます。王宮に帰った後に、彼はおりていっしょに命令して、国内のすべての道はすべて一層のほらに敷きます。彼はこのようにすると思って、自分になって、また彼の人民に幸福をもたらすことができて、みんなを歩かせます時もう受けて痛い苦しみを刺しません。たとえしかし最も国内のすべての牛を殺しますとしても、十分な皮革をも調達しきれないで、費やした金銭、使用する人力、更にはかりしれません。まったくできないが、甚だしきに至ってはまたかなり愚かで、しかし国王の命令なため、みんなも頭を振ってため息をつくことしかできません。1人の聡明な召使いは大胆に国王に提案を出しています:「国王!どうしてあなたは大勢の人を動員して、そんなに多い牛に命を捧げて、そんなに多い金銭を費やしますか?あなたは何は両の小さいほらであなたの足をしっかり包むだけではありませんか?」国王が聞いたのはとても驚いて、しかしもすぐ悟って、そこですぐに命令を取り消して、この提案を新たに採用します。聞くところによると、これは「革靴」の由来です。世界を変えたくて、難しいです;自分を変えて、比較的容易です。全世界を変えるよりも、先に自分の–「自分の双足を包みます」を変えるほうがいいです。自分のいくつかの観念と方法を変えて、外来の侵略を防ぎ止めますで。自分で変えた後に、目の中の世界の自然はすぐ引き続き変えました。[/url]