Slope Day Programming Board Hosts First-Ever Open Forum

The Slope Day Programming Board held its first-ever Slope Day Artist Selections Forum on Monday in Uris Hall, where students could help decide on possible artists for Slope Day 2016.

Students rank their preferences of 28 potential Slope Day artists at an open forum Monday evening. (Connor Archard / Sun File Photo)

The board presented a list of 28 artists compiled by the selections committee, which was based on the results from an online survey sent out to the student body.

In the past, the decision was made during general body meetings, according to August Larmer ’17, co-selections director for the SDPB. The forum is part of their efforts to make the selections process more transparent.

“The more transparent we are, the more understanding the student body will be about what artists we have the capability of bringing to Slope Day,” said Chloe Chan ’16, vice chairperson for the SDPB.

The annual budget for Slope Day artists, safety and security and promotional material is $350,000, according to the organization.

The board spoke about factors that limit the pool of potential Slope Day artists including the limited time for soundcheck, the possibility of particular artists promoting high-risk events and the outdoor and daytime nature of the event.

Approximately 60 students attended and rated each artist through an online poll at the conclusion of the event.

“I did expect more people to show up, but honestly, this number was better because everyone could hear each other,” Kevin Kee ’18 said.

According to  Thomas Marin ’17, promotions director for the SDPB, the attendees’ preferences seem to be representative of the student body.

“I think the sample [of students] we had here was definitely reflective of the student body,” Marin said. “There were artists that people agreed on and others that were more controversial.”

In general, students were most excited about EDM and rap artists. However, the board expressed concern over EDM artists due to the potential drug use associated with such concerts, according to Marin.

According to Larmer, the most popular artists discussed were Fetty Wap, Kygo, Childish Gambino, Future and the Chainsmokers.