(Nancie Battaglia / The New York Times)

(Nancie Battaglia / The New York Times)

Paul Smith’s College Funds Hinge on Joan Weill Name

Paul Smith’s College, a small college in upstate New York, may have to turn down a $20 million donation from Joan Weill — the wife of Sanford I. Weill ’55, who endowed Cornell’s medical school and institute for cell molecular biology — because it is legally bound to retain the name it adopted at its founding, according to The New York Times.

(Nancie Battaglia / The New York Times)

(Nancie Battaglia / The New York Times)

In addition to the Weills’ connection to Cornell, Cathy S. Dove, current president of Paul Smith’s College, was also a former vice president at Cornell Tech.

Justice John T. Ellis of the State Supreme Court in Franklin County ruled Wednesday that the college, which is the only four-year institution in six million acres of Adirondack Park, could not change its name to honor a pledge from Joan Weill. The gift, which could be potentially invaluable to the school while it struggles with its finances, is contingent upon the adoption of a new name — Joan Weill-Paul Smith’s College — according to The Times.

The college was originally funded by the will of Phelps Smith, who specified that the institution should be “forever known” by his father’s name. In light of the new potential donation, the college petitioned to be released from the will’s conditions, but their appeal was denied by Ellis, The Times reported.

The decision has not yet been officially filed as of Tuesday night, but Ellis rejected the college’s petition in its entirety, maintaining in his decision that he had considered the college’s financial need but disagreed that the college’s name was holding it back from academic success. The college’s petition had stated that it needed at least $30 million to remedy decreased enrollment and tuition revenue, according to The Times.

There have been diverse reactions to the petition from Paul Smith’s faculty and alumni. While faculty members have been generally supportive of the petition, hundreds of former students emailed the New York attorney general’s office, asking the department to oppose the request, The Times reported. Specifically, many alumni have expressed concern that a name change would damage the school’s integrity and have questioned Mrs. Weill’s philanthropic intentions.

Dove posted a letter to Paul Smith’s College’s website expressing her regret at the court’s decision, but also highlighting the importance of the college’s continuing commitment to its historical legacy.

Mrs. Weill has been involved with the college for over 20 years and has served on the college’s board for over 19 years. Over the decades, she and her husband have donated millions of dollars to the college, funding both a library and student center which now bear her name.

It remains unclear whether Ms. Weill will withdraw her donation now the college’s name will not be changed, The Times reported.

One thought on “Paul Smith’s College Funds Hinge on Joan Weill Name

1. I really wish that a news agency in a town with as much of a prestigious college as you have, did your own research. The denial ruling had been released. Paul Smith’s College Alumni were able to obtain a copy, without out the aid of the college. It is public record. Also, please start something innovative and no longer call what the Weill ‘ s did a gift. A gift is given without requirements, that is true philanthropy. When you demand your name is put on something before you give funds, that is a PURCHASE. The college community did not want to honor her, her croany Dove did as an easy bailout instead of doing hard work.

The HONORABLE Judge Ellis ruled with the law. That is what bounds him and he did his job.

Why is Cornell not called Joan and Sandy-Cornell University now? They have given boat loads of money that they raped out of good hard working people and then benefited from the government bailout. (See theme here?) Why? Because Cornell has some sort of integrity in it’s management, and a Ivy League reputation.

So I ask you, if you dare, up your ante. Research you area’s savior, look at the closets we as a group of Alumni opened and see the skeletons.

There is so much more to this story that what media is portraying.

Money is good, but it doesn’t save the true soul.

“Smitties” preserve because of the environment we learn in, figuratively and literally. And we will endure.