CHANDLER | 13 Reasons Halloween is the Best Holiday

By SARAH CHANDLER

1. It’s a time to be creative. Case in point: When you gut a pumpkin for decoration you can then toast his innards as a snack.

giphy

1. You can put on a costume — and it might be a truer representation of yourself than what you wear every day. How haunting.

gif 2

1. You can make a Buzzfeed-style list that’s 13 points long and everyone will say, “Ah, yes, I see why she did that. Unlucky 13, Friday the 13th, also 31 (Halloween) backwards, yes, how meta.”

gif 3

1. Groovy minor key melodies.

gif 4

1. Nostalgic teen horror movies from the 90s.

gif 5

1. You don’t have to buy presents or cook fancy dinners.

gif 6

1. It’s exhilarating, walking on the edge. Acknowledging fear but at the same time commodifying it, turning it into a holiday. It’s a little bit weird.

gif 7

1. But weird is better. Halloween is a time for everyone to be a little freaky, because it’s fun, and we’re meant for it every once in awhile.

gif 8

1. It’s a cool-looking word, isn’t it?

gif 9

1. Most other major holidays (Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, even Valentine’s Day) carry an almost obligatory sense of family as a virtue. And that’s great. But Halloween is a holiday whose only demands are that you be yourself, let go a little and love life (and death, and undeath).

gif 10

1. Halloween is the mother of all the other holidays, because you can dress up as any of them. AND you get candy for it. You get more candy for your other holidays on Halloween than you do on those actual holidays.

gif 11

1. In addition to stealing emblems from all other areas of culture, Halloween has a plethora of its own, with new and colorful ways to terrify ourselves being dreamed up every day/stormy night.

gif 12

1. CANDY THOUGH.

gif 13

All gifs courtesy of giphy.com.