BANKS | Scientists — The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

There is such thing as ugly science. You know, the kind that leads to media sensationalizing, fear-mongering by the ignorant and the miseducation of the masses (look up the “scientific” root of the anti-vaccine movement for one infamous example). I’m already sick of talking about ugly science, which doesn’t deserve more than a few sentences condemning the stuff to hell for its negative effect on the STEM community.

Bad scientists, on the other hand, do exist. They may not be bad people, but money, political corruption or the pressure to publish often leads them to bad decisions. They often produce ill-advised conclusions that, technically, could be drawn. For evidence, look no further than the legions of diligent pro-fracking scientists lurking on corporate payrolls. More often than you’d think, anti-science escapes peer-review unscathed and becomes published. Once that happens, there’s no stopping companies, government leaders and other non-STEM folk from using the research to peddle a particular narrative. Yet it’s not even the ugly or bad scientists that worry me the most.

I’m most concerned about the good scientists, for whom I have a tremendous amount of love and respect. These passionate souls fling wit and innovation back and forth in lab meetings, engaging in the most heated of debates on the merits of one technique or theory over another.

Even when I graduate and abandon biology for a career in the humanities, I intend to remain immersed in biology’s captivating community. But as much as the work of good scientists astounds geeks like myself, they’re also the ones who frustrate me the most. To a lot of people, the fruits of a good scientists’ labor look like they were plucked from a magic field, one which only a select few can successfully enter. Thus, not many can appreciate the raw brilliance and compelling language of primary literature — or so society would have you believe.

My first true exposure to the secrets of science was a research internship during the summer after junior year of high school. There are two ways I could describe this project: I can say that I studied the kind of wasps that inspired the horrifying chest-bursters from Alien, which have babies that eat you from the inside out. Or, I can say that I studied the reproductive and physiological impacts of parasitism via parasitoid wasps on pea aphids that harbor a facultative symbiont, mediated by a bacteriophage. See the difference? If not, allow me to clarify.

I won first place for my presentation, and so I fancied myself a scientist and dove into the world of research. Fast forward to this past summer, where I discovered firsthand what true autonomy and rigor felt like while doing research once again. Needless to say, I realize and admit now that I’m a terrible, terrible scientist. I lack the meticulousness required or, dare I say, the work ethic. I’m at peace with that. Apparently, it was my presentation of the information that won me the award.

I’m not the one you should trust with navigating a research site, but I know that I can navigate communities adeptly. I have no shortage of confidence in my ability to tell a gripping story, describing events and details so that they become vivid and accessible. I write on end about love of all people, but I know when to inject emotions like anger and sadness into my words so that they might be heard by those who refuse to listen.

And so the same must be done for science. We, those lovers of inquiry, need storytellers to distill the aforementioned fruits of primary literature into a meaningful and appealing beverage. Otherwise, STEM folk can never hope to slough off the debilitating untrustworthiness that some have unceremoniously draped over them.

Scientists have a knack for thinking critically about the work of their peers and pointing out areas for improvement. In the world of good science, this skill proves invaluable. Yet academics also have a tendency to apply this same line of thinking to their interactions with those outside that world. For this reason, the general public continues to perceive academics as pretentious, cold and esoteric. This exclusivity presents the most salient danger of all: the danger of believing that not doing science and understanding science are mutually exclusive, or that one who does not engage in scientific research cannot understand that research.

Consider the renowned astrophysicist Neil Degrasse Tyson and famed science communicator Bill Nye ’77. Neither of them are biologists. Neither of them have conducted research in evolution. Yet they have both publicly defended the overwhelming evidence supporting evolution because they have the capacity to read, interpret and articulate the findings of others. No one challenges their credibility or questions their resolve when it comes to the importance of spreading awareness. Imagine the world we’d live in if the only people allowed to explain the perils of anti-vacciners’ beliefs were people with doctorates in immunology or disease.

At the core of everything that occurs in this world, science prevails. Regardless of whether or not we have the explanation already, we as a species have the latent potential. When people  contribute their energy, hearts and — quite frankly — dollars, society can discover and create wonders. We can also use this latent potential to avoid the destruction and disaster that results from a reckless abuse of our intellectual capital. But none of this is possible without people to communicate. No change takes place without a middle woman or man to serve as the bridge. And a bridge is only as good as its connection to both sides of a stream.

Granted, times will always arise when science communicators cannot fully grasp the work of a researcher from simply looking over a paper. During these times, it is the responsibility of those who seek understanding to reach out to the scientists, humble themselves and learn all of the details. I wonder though: If and when they do so, how will the scientists respond?

Amiri Banks is a junior in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. He may be reached at abanks@cornellsun.com. Honest A.B. appears alternate Mondays this semester.

One thought on “BANKS | Scientists — The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

1. The way to Guuide a Drug Abuser

Tips on how to assist aany drug abuser together with specific steps and advice you caan put into action immediately.
    Shift these people closer tto surrender wherever they could complete a genuine and
    enduring trransform of their living. Just how do we best assist a substance abuser?

The very first thing you should do in terms
    of encouraging thee mediucine addict that you saw iis always to quit
    which llows these. Many of uss will nott perhaps recognize whenever we tend to
    be enabling simply because we mistake allowin with basically assisting your
    abuser. For instance, if yiur substance addict in your lifestyle demands us all to help acquire money to enable
    them to fork out the bills in addition to give hiis or her little ones, many of us could think tuat
    loaning these the amount of money intended for these things would be honestly aiding these individuals (provided which
    they really commit the money on bills along with food). Nonetheless, regardless of
    whether your medicine addict consumes the cash regarding these needs, we have been nevertheless
    damaging your addikct by lending them the money. If you do noot
    discover why this really is then it�s likely great that you just participate in empowering
    behaviour. The reason why that you should nnot really offer income towards the abuser
    with regbard to fundamental essentials (or even that can help nourish his or her children) is really because this enables those to devote their various other funds about
    prescription drugs. Furthermore, by providing them money andd also bailing
    these out and about whenever they wilpl need funds to help give food
    to their young children, you happen to be displaying them that you
    will continue to recovery them later on. Many people
    intuitively say to themselves: “See, these people won’t make it possible for the kids deny or perhaps my own lighting to get shut down. They’re going to part of and save us. inch This units the abuser in place with regard to disappointment later on and provide these “permission” to spend money on drug treatments.
    You should never do something with an addict if it is some thing they might usually
    perform for by themselves as long as tthey have been clean coming from medicines.
    Basically, a pewrson don’t aftermath tnem wway up pertaining
    to operate iin case they’ll end up being later since they ended up upwward forever
    partying. An individual don’t bail all
    of them away from prison. Anyone don’t apologize to enable them
    tto some others after they conduct themselves negatively aas a result of medications.
    When you try and prp a abuser way up in thios way, orr perhaps try and stop
    negative penalties through transpirinjg inn their eyes, you are extending the addictive
    routine. The reason behind for the reason that among the finest motivatores
    with regard to alter is actually agony. You
    must never deny a addicct in their soreness. It is quite complicated to accomplish
    this anyhow and you will probably just waste materials a
    great deal of your energy seeking to do it. Don’t ake an effort
    to spend less someone that’s do it yourself destructing.
    The concept is usually to enable thm feel the
    soreness along wifh allow it to needlessl get these phones final change.
    Whenn a addict provides lastly acquired ample they may submit
    toiwards the illness and take action diverse. Be aware you do not need to be
    mean or maybe walk out your path in an attempt to reprimand an addict.
    Merelyy make it possible for thesze people go through your
    pure outcomes with their measures. If they result in jail,
    allow these people siit down there. As long as they panic
    in a fit involving trend and initiate putting
    things, simply find out of the way as well as pwrmit these
    proceed loco. By no means respond. If you behave anyone permit
    the abuser to help move the actual concentrate on for your requirements.
    Should you mereely action apart and stay fairly neutral regarding the
    assaults, then this abuser must eventually have a look at them
    selves. It is possible to as a result push the croos to take a llook at
    their lifestyle and also the actions.Don’t react. Don’t rescue.
    Just stage besides in addition too permit them skin color their particular leg once or twice.
    Thiss can be termed detachment, which is the actual healthiest and a lot warm
    response you can gget for an addict. It does not take ideal you’re able
    to do to briing all off them nearer to submit. It doesn’t
    complete muych good in order to thrust a good abuser toward treatment method, however you caan easily make them aware inn relatgion to their particular
    alternatives. Yet let them come to people. Any time the abuser is able to require aid, and able to alter in your words, after that whgich means they’ve already truly surrendered.
    When they are certainly noot still then, next cure
    is nnot going to complete all of them anything good at any rate.
    Perform your own part through not which allows these people any
    longer and make sure they kknow that will cure can be found when they decide to alter.

Aftr that hope on their behbalf and get free from their particular
    means. This can be a very best we can perform.
    Obviously it isn’t generally quick.