SHEN | The Best Time of Year

By ZHAO SHEN

October was a good month. Despite my personal distaste for the sudden proliferation of pumpkin spice lattes and pumpkin-flavored Oreos and pumpkin pies and pumpkin everything, it’s a great time of year, especially on campus. From the absolutely gorgeous autumn scenery to the ridiculous number of impressive pumpkin carvings to the hordes of enthusiastic costume planners, the festive spirit that goes around has a special place in everyone’s hearts. Unless of course you’re that despicable creature that chooses to hate Halloween because “Christmas is better.” Let’s be real here: Would you rather spend your time with people in ugly sweaters or with a wizard, a man carrying a giant scythe and a “kitty?”

Halloween on a college campus is certainly a special time of year. It’s not every day you get to dine a few tables away from Batman or find a freakish ghoul waiting for you in the elevator (not going to lie, it was actually pretty frightening). But what makes October the best month? Well, I have some good news and some bad news. The bad: According to this blogger, it’s not the best month (plot twist, sorry). The good: The best month is now!

That’s right. I love November. I’m someone who puts a lot of value into the weather and general environment, and in November we get to begin with all the beautiful autumn colors. The entire month is a gradual progression toward a pristine time of year, ending as we brace ourselves for the white world of winter as snow flutters to the ground.

November may not be as festive as its neighbors October and December, but it doesn’t lack in important occasions, especially for us college students. As I’m sure most of you are aware of, course registration for the spring semester goes on in early November, and I’m super excited for it! No, really, no sarcasm intended. As a freshman, I’ve gotten a good idea of how round one of college has gone, and now I have the chance to make round two as perfect as possible (although, to my great despair, I am likely going to have to take 9 a.m. classes five days a week).

And don’t forget Thanksgiving and Black Friday. The former is a great time to spend with friends, family and (most importantly) turkey, and even if you don’t really do anything official for Thanksgiving like me, it still feels amazing to sit back and relax. The latter is one of the most gratifying experiences I have each year due to the amount of thorough planning I spend on my yearly wish lists. Black Friday means it’s time to uncap that pen and cross off one thing after another on that list, something that brings me a massive amount of satisfaction.

We have the three best months lined up in a row. Before you know it November will be gone, and December, the home of warm and fuzzy memories, will take its place. As loathe as I am to admit it right after finishing up with Halloween, Christmas is a pretty great holiday as well. And its impending arrival heralds winter break, warm colors, hot coffee and… well… finals. Don’t worry though. Just buckle in, turn up some Christmas music and live in the moment. Because right now is the best time of year.

Zhao Shen is a freshman computer science major in the College of Arts and Sciences. He loves music, movies, milkshakes and penguins, and is currently working on his doctorate degree in procrastination. His posts appear on alternate Tuesdays this semester. He can be reached at ys525@cornell.edu.

9 thoughts on “SHEN | The Best Time of Year

1. Hi my family member! I want to say that this article is amazing, great written and come with approximately all important infos.
    I would like to look extra posts like this .

2. What i don’t understood is in truth how you’re no longer really a lot more neatly-favored than you may be right now.

You’re so intelligent. You recognize thus considerably with regards to this topic,
    produced me personally consider it from numerous numerous
    angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be involved until it is
    something to do with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs outstanding.
    Always maintain it up!

3. I do not know if it’s just me or if everyone else experiencing issues with your blog.
    It appears as though some of the written text on your content are running off the screen.
    Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them as well?
    This may be a problem with my browser because I’ve had this happen previously.
    Thanks

4. Cooling pad is but one more option in your case, but using cooling pad can cause you to be little uncomfortable in handling,
    as where you carry your laptop you also need to transport
    cooling pad too. Most laptops get their ventilation grills about the bottom with
    the device. Dell laptops for college students 2014 We’ll be concentrating on items which are useful for young students,
    but high school students may find some of them helpful as well.

For most university students buying laptops, locating a laptop they
    can afford drives the scholars down your computer-filled isles
    at Best Buy or Wal-Mart. In addition, these upgraded APU’s give you a better integrated graphics
    chip that may handle most games at laptops’s native resolution of 1366×768.

5. Equipped with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Windows
    Live Messenger, and Works, the 1000HE allows someone to
    learn, work, and play from anywhere inside world.
    Norton Internet Security 2011 enables you to email, chat and surf the Web without worrying about cybercriminals ripping you
    off. Hackers are discouraged by using a strong application that’s designed properly.

This allows additional benefits including viewing live video on the Internet or locally at home with a web browser.
    Use of security application for mobile and tablets prevents
    possibilities form certain vulnerabilities to the enterprise and device itself.

6. You might not typically consider this form of lighting befitting family photography, because it
    tends to bring about silhouettes or partially shaded subjects.

LED lights are really small, extremely durable, and might possibly be produced within a broad range of colours and
    forms. Led grow lights nl LED increase lights have none from the formerly
    raised negatives.

The other factor could be that the gardeners is going to be able to make more crops since the vegetation grow and mature faster.

The branch of science which deals with its study is called Meteoritics.

7. This app may be designed particularly for Surveillent’s IP camera customers and even though the app is paid
    for at $5. If you desperately want to keep costs down you are
    able to even invest in a fake camera. Cctv twitter Many cities and
    motorway networks make utilization of extensive traffic-monitoring systems.

But when you use a new connection on your CCTV cameras, the
    intruder may overlook this. Remote viewing is
    a bit more to do with the method that you configure your broadband router as opposed to DVR.

8. Another fascinating feature of this type of gaming laptop will not be wearing running footwear includes your Alienware CURRENCY TRADING lighting scheme in addition to a backlit key pad.
    It’s like being part in the Gamer Olympics and emerging victorious for
    the end than it. Gamer laptop under 1000 This device will be the part that may decide about the speed with the
    laptop.

When you might be looking at components to obtain for gaming laptops,
    you need to look in the screen size and transportability.

This resulted in one couldn’t afford to install a lot of memory or even the latest processor,
    as this means increasing the size on the laptop.