pg-9-logo-1

CORNUCOPIA | Bruce Monger Talks the Science of Climate Change

Cornucopia is a biweekly podcast that covers research stories unfolding across campus. Join hosts Addison Huneycutt ’18 and Ali Jenkins ’18 as they dig into the juiciest discoveries they can find. In each episode, you’ll meet a researcher, chat with Addison and Ali and hear some corny jokes. Check out the science section of The Cornell Daily Sun for biweekly updates about the latest episodes. Queries relating to Cornucopia may be sent to cornucopiapodcast.cornell@gmail.com.

This week’s episode features Dr. Bruce Monger, who teaches Introductory Oceanography at Cornell. He spoke about several of the most serious problems with climate change and how we might start to fix them. Most of these problems revolve around the ocean, which he says is central to everyone’s lives.

“Even if they don’t live near the ocean, or make a living off the ocean by going out and fishing or something like that, [people] should still really care about this because it supports their ability to live on this planet,” Monger said. “Every other breath you take you owe a ‘thank you’ to the ocean because half the photosynthesis that makes oxygen every year is made by the oceans.”

He went on to describe the increase in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. In the past seven years, humans have raised the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere by around 200 parts per million, leading to a global increase in temperature. Monger explains that the most trusted climate change research in the world, compiled by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, states that this increase in temperature is “unambiguous.” Furthermore, scientists are 95 percent certain that humans are largely responsible for this global warming.

“We are now more certain that humans are largely responsible for global warming than we are that smoking causes cancer,” Monger said.

Monger explained that while investing in environmentally friendly technology is costly, we cannot afford to ignore the problem. The increases in temperature have caused the sea levels to rise, and a one meter rise would be disastrous to coastal areas. He explained that scientists have calculated “how many assets are within a meter rise by the end of the century, and it is in the trillions of dollars.”

Finally, Monger spoke about the activism he hopes to instill in his students.

“You guys have chosen a path of knowledge, and you now have a responsibility to use that knowledge to make a better world,” he said. “People build universities so that you can give back to the society and lift the whole society and make it better.”

One thought on “CORNUCOPIA | Bruce Monger Talks the Science of Climate Change

1. “Monger explains that the most trusted climate change research in the world, compiled by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, states that this increase in temperature is “unambiguous.”

1. Sorry to say, but the IPCC has not done the most trusted research on so-called global warming (aka extreme weather aka climate change) in the world because it is funded by corrupting agenda-driven big governments. The IPCC’s work has been refuted by reputable scientists from fair and agenda-neutral organizations such as the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change (NIPCC) that do not promote big government agendas. See: http://climatechangereconsidered.org/

2. “Unambiguous” temperature increase? The RSS satellite dataset shows no global warming at all for 222 months (18+ years) from December 1996 to May 2015 – more than half the 437-month satellite record. Read more at: http://www.climatedepot.com/2015/06/03/global-warming-standstillpause-increases-to-a-new-record-length-18-years-6-months/#ixzz3sOho5gQU

3. Attempts by global warming extremists to refute the”warming pause”, mentioned in #2 above by falsifying the data, have themselves been refuted. See below:
    http://www.climatedepot.com/2015/06/04/scientists-challenge-new-study-attempting-to-erase-the-pause-warmists-rewrite-temperature-history-to-eliminate-the-pause/

4. Cornellians need to start learning the facts for themselves and not rely on studies funded by big government where the pressure can be overwhelming to fit the results to a pre-determined conclusion (such as the infamous “hockey stick”). Only trust studies where the conclusion is drawn from the facts, and the facts are not made up.

5. Resist statements from climate extremists that have no substantiation in facts such as:
    “Scientists are 95 percent certain that humans are largely responsible for this global warming.”
    or:
    “97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities.”

These statements are factless and meaningless.

6. Use what Cornell has taught you: keep an open mind and verify using the Scientific Method (“Trust but Verify”). Thanks.