It's been a while since the Cornell men's soccer team has had some real competition to go after. Following a long summer of departing seniors and young players bursting with promise, the squad is more than ready to take the field against Colgate (1-2). Tomorrow night's opener against the Raiders will be under the Berman Field lights at 7:00 p.m.

"We're just sick and tired of kicking each other," head coach Bryan Scales said. "We're ready for a game. The guys are tired of training, and now it's just a matter of getting out and getting into a competition and playing."

Colgate, who is coming off a tough 3-2 overtime loss to Syracuse, has a reputation of being a team that will put up a fight for the entire game and in all spots on the pitch.

"We've always had very good games with Colgate," Scales recalled. "Their characteristics don't change too much. They are very hard-working, they pressure the ball all over the field. They compete for all head balls and tackles and loose balls."

The Red has a 46-20-5 all-time record against 'Gate, dating back to 1921. Last year's tilt between the two schools was won by Cornell, 3-1, but all three of the Red goals were netted by seniors who have since moved on to the professional ranks.

Scales is confident in the booters who have moved up into starting roles, as evidenced by the fact that the starting lineup is completely set.

"To be honest, the preseason has gone quite well," Scales noted. "The veterans have been terrific. [Junior] Liam Hoban, who's our captain, has been very good. The chemistry is pretty good."

Senior striker Ted Papadopoulos, who led the Red with six goals two years ago, will be counted on for veteran leadership, as will fifth-year senior back Nick Haigh. Junior Doug Allan, who saw some time in the cage last year, will be the starting goalkeeper against the Raiders.

Colgate, like Cornell, is an extremely young team. It only has two seniors, and is led offensively by sophomore midfielder Zach Stuppy. 'Gate will probably start either Will Martin or Jon Brunell, both sophomores, in net.

Cornell has seen some action against another team, having scrimmaged Plattsburgh two weeks ago. But tomorrow night's contest will be the first real test for a team with a lot of inexperienced players.

To win, the Red will have to match Colgate's competitiveness and stick to what has worked for Cornell in the past - basic ball-control soccer.

"We'll hopefully come out flying on Saturday night," Scales said, "and just see how things look."

Archived article by Alex Fineman

Cornell Football Falls to Ivy League Champion Penn in Season Finale

PHILADELPHIA — As the Penn football team celebrated winning the Ivy League Championship on the field with their fellow classmates, screaming the lyrics of their alma mater, members of the Cornell football team slowly walked into the locker room, as the team finished off its season with a 1-9 record for a second straight year. Going up against a Penn team hungry for a share of the conference title, Cornell football could not compete with the Quakers, who came out in the first quarter playing polished, physical football.

As soon as the ball was kicked off to begin the game, Penn showed how much they wanted the Ivy League title. The home team scored on its first two possessions of the game, amassing 168 total yards. On the flip side, the Quakers defense limited the Red offense to -1 yards and a turnover. Penn would go on to win the game, 34-21, clinching a tri-share of the Ivy League with Harvard and Yale.

“They came to ready to play today,” said head coach David Archer ’05. “We got off to a terrible start and didn’t have the firepower to climb all the way back … We got in a hole that was way too big for us. We had just one offensive play and we were already down 14 points.”

In a much more balanced second half, Cornell was able to limit Penn’s offense and hang with the Quakers, actually outscoring them, 14-7, but the damage was already done.

After a long kickoff return set the tone of the game, Penn quarterback Alek Torgerson completed two long passes to set up Penn’s first score. On the first play of Cornell’s ensuing drive, Penn defenders hit junior quarterback Robert Somborn while he was in the middle of his throwing motion result in a throw way off the mark, with the ball landing in the hands of a Penn defender. The Quakers found the end zone again a couple plays later. Cornell then went three-and-out and when Penn got the ball back, the Quakers marched down the field and scored again, putting the Red in a 20-0 hole.

Cornell began to look like the team it has in previous games later in the first quarter. Somborn’s 30-yard pass on fourth and 10 set up his 1-yard sneak into the end zone. But as soon as the Red began to close the gap, the Quakers brought it right back to 20, when Penn’s Lonnie Tuff returned the ball 92 yards to Cornell’s 4-yard line. The Quakers scored soon after on a three-yard run from Torgerson.

In the second half, Cornell did a better job of playing with Penn, but Penn sophomore standout wideout Justin Watson’s second touchdown catch of the day made the gap insurmountable. Watson ended with 133 yards and, all game, like most of the Ivy League this season, had trouble containing him.

As the game began to wind down, Cornell added a score when sophomore wide receiver James Hubbard blew past his defender and caught a touchdown pass from Somborn.

With about a minute left, senior running back Luke Hagy, on the final play of his collegiate football career, caught a pass a couple yards past the line of scrimmage and dodged his way into the end zone. On the game, Hagy had 81 rushing and 105 yards receiving to give him 4000 yards for his career.

Hagy is one of the members of the talented senior class who have been so integral in the change in team culture that Archer has talked about all year. A key to this change is the resilience nature of the team that has been evident through each game this season, despite the team’s record.

Archer gave member each of the senior class a brick with a plaque inscribed with their name on it, a gesture symbolic of how the senior class laid the foundation for future years of Cornell football.

“That certainly shows to me the message is being driven home that comes with the culture of playing for each other no matter what the score is or what is happening,” Archer said. “It shows me that that is being bought into.”

In addition to resilient, the other word that Archer has used to describe this team is inconsistent. And this inconsistency prevented Archer and his team from having a better record this year, the head coach said after the game.

After winning three games his first season, Archer now has overseen two straight one-win season. As the second youngest Division-I coach in the country, Archer sees major areas in which he can improve.

“I’ve got to do a better job to make sure I’ve got the right guys in the right position, making sure that we can execute our schemes, making sure that we play the best we can for every Saturday, all Saturdays,” Archer said. “There’s certainly a lot I need to improve on, I’m looking forward to getting back at it.”

12 thoughts on “Cornell Football Falls to Ivy League Champion Penn in Season Finale

1. At the rate this foundation building is occurring, it will be years before we are truly able to compete for the Ivy Championship, let alone a winning record at the end of the season.

2. Head coach WAY over his head…..all he does is make
    excuses…done this all season….if the AD
    at Cornell is serious about football….get a coach
    who knows how to coach…Cornell football is the
    laughingstock of the Ivy league…they used to
    be good…in the 90s..very competitive…2 wins
    in 2 years does not cut it coach….try some other
    profession..

• @ Matt: The Cornell administration just seems happy to be fielding a team, they are just going through the motions, year after year. Not a word from the President or trustees that there is a need for a REAL change to occur. We’ve been on the treadmill of being uncompetitive for so long, that it’s very frustrating to continue to support the football program at Cornell.

3. The results of the last 2 Cornell seasons were very similar – only 1 win, by a field goal, over Columbia. Both seasons the offense averaged 15 points per game, and the defense gave up 33 points per came.

4. Matt from the class of ’90 is right on….I played
    and earned 3 letters playing football for Cornell
    in the ’80s…we were competitive every year…
    this football program is a joke..I know Tim Murphy
    well from Harvard….and when I saw him
    recently…he stated its sad how little
    regard the administration appears to have for the
    football program…..

5. Archer has to go. He has not done a good job at all. Recruiting has been poor, the talent does not want to come to Cornell. And for good reason….we are a hockey and lacrosse school. What good football player wants to lose for 4 years in front of anemic home crowds. Archer is not a head coach, he mismanages games, did not put together a group of quality assistants, the coaching staff as a whole is bad. None of them should be retained. Clean house, spend some money and bring in an experienced head coach who inspires people, along with assistants who will take charge.

6. This getting beyond ridiculous with the Cornell football team. Suspect coaching, nothing heard from the Athletic Director in terms of being held accountable, condemned stadium stands, ONE WINNING SEASON IN THE LAST 15 YEARS!!!!! It’s very embarrassing attending Homecoming weekend knowing the homecoming football game is a lost cause. Just drop the sport of that’s how it’s currently being supported by the Cornell administration. No wonder attendance is less than a high school game. Why should I continue to support the football program financially?

• You hit the nail on the head. The athletic director and president seem okay to be an embarrassment on the football field. Dartmouth even figured it out and has been able to win consistently. We should not be winning 1 league game a year. Archer had no business being hired in the first place. He isn’t qualified to run a lemonade stand let alone a division 1 college football program. Sure, he was a recruiting coordinator, but does he know anything about x’s and o’s? Never was a coordinator, seems lost on game day. We need him to leave or next year at this time we will be talking about another disappointing 1-9 season. Stop dragging your feet!!!

• Tony nothing is going to happen until the end of next season, I’ve resigned myself to inaction by the Cornell administration. Archer is getting another year most likely. However, if Archer and his staff don’t win AT LEAST 4 games next season, it’s bye bye.

7. This head coach couldn’t coach a girls flag football
    team…blocking..tackling…are all the responsibility
    of the head coach…or ANY coach on this staff..
    Cornell has shown NO interest in competing…let along
    win a game…why would ANY kid that plays football
    even consider playing at Cornell..things were a lot
    different when Pete Noyes was there…HE could
    recruit…time to SHUT OFF the cash contribution
    spigot….clean house..AD goes too…NO leadership
    whatsoever…..