Kappa Sigma Fraternity Suspended for Alleged Hazing

The national organization of the Kappa Sigma fraternity suspended its Cornell chapter this month, pending an investigation of hazing allegations.

Cornell’s chapter of the Kappa Sigma fraternity, located at 600 University Ave., was suspended this month pending a hazing investigation. (Jesella Zambrano / Sun File Photo)

The suspension went into effect on Nov. 13, the Office of Fraternities, Sororities and Independent Living announced in a statement Wednesday. A notice from the national organization said the “chapter is to cease all operations.”

Additionally, the chapter will become alcohol free indefinitely, applying to any Kappa Sigma fraternity event.

“The chapter house, and unofficial chapter house or any other location where brothers gather must be alcohol free,” the notice read.

The Office of Fraternities, Sororities and Independent Living and the Greek judicial board, which conducted their own fact-finding, is waiting for the conclusion of the national organization’s investigation before deciding the next actions, according to the University.