Spitz Appointed Vice Provost for International Affairs

Pg-3-Spitz-Mug-B&W

Laura Spitz JSD ’06

Laura Spitz JSD ’06 has been appointed vice provost for international affairs, effective Tuesday, Provost Michael Kotlikoff announced.

She has served as the interim vice provost since July, after her predecessor Fredrik Logevall accepted a position at Harvard University the same month.

As head of the Office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs, Spitz will oversee programs including Cornell Abroad and the Mario Einaudi Center for International Studies.

She will also chair the Internationalization Council, which consists of leaders from each college and Weill Cornell Medicine. The Internationalization Council works with the Office of Risk Management and Insurance and in conjunction with Cornell faculty and staff to oversee the University’s international travel policy, according to the University.

Spitz will also be tasked with providing colleges and centers with support to help execute plans related to Global Cornell, a University enterprise aimed at strengthening the global dimension of learning at Cornell, according to the University.

The vice provost’s office is in charge of supporting the University’s international presence by encouraging international research partnerships as well as exchange with research institutions around the world. The office also welcomes foreign dignitaries and officials from international academic institutions to Cornell and provides information for senior administrators when they travel abroad.

Spitz will also oversee Cornell’s planned international offices, beginning with one in Shanghai anticipated to open in 2016.

President Elizabeth Garrett said in a release that she looks forward to working with Spitz.

“I look forward to working even more closely with Laura to enhance Cornell as a global center for excellent research, scholarship and teaching,” Garrett said. “The many aspects of our global portfolio — including the education of our students as citizens of the world — are critical to Cornell’s success and the impact we can have globally.”

Before she assumed the position, Spitz served as an associate dean for international affairs at Cornell Law School and executive director of the school’s Clarke Center for International and Comparative Legal Studies.

Prior to her arrival at Cornell in 2012, Spitz was an associate professor of law at the University of Colorado, and also taught at Emory University and the University of New Mexico. She received her undergraduate degree in history from the University of Toronto, her law degree from the University of British Columbia and her JSD from Cornell Law School.

Spitz said she is excited to continue working with the Cornell community to find ways to further the University’s international engagement.

“I am excited about the tremendous energy and commitment shown by the faculty, students and staff who make global education a part of their everyday lives,” she said. “They are the foundation on which the Global Cornell initiative builds.”

3 thoughts on “Spitz Appointed Vice Provost for International Affairs

1. So Cornell has appointed a two year non-academic over more seasoned academics to head its internationalization efforts. And it is not international affairs, the global Cornell efforts is mainly relations with China, all other regions are secondary.

• Non-academic? “Spitz was an associate professor of law at the University of Colorado, and also taught at Emory University and the University of New Mexico.”

Sounds academic to me. Or does law school teaching not count as teaching?

• So a non-academic is less qualified than an academic to be a high-level program manager of these international programs? This position is more on the business-side, not teaching and research, and basically requires execution and meeting deadlines if they are given. As long as they are qualified to do such things, it should be OK.