Screen-Shot-2015-10-04-at-3.29.18-PM

Michelle Feldman / Sun File Photo

President Garrett Undergoes Treatment for Cancer Diagnosis

In a statement Monday, President Elizabeth Garrett announced she is undergoing treatment at Weill Cornell Medicine following a colon cancer diagnosis.

Garrett, who was inaugurated as Cornell’s 13th president in September, is undergoing an “aggressive treatment program” and will reduce her travel schedule and commitments in the months to come.

“The senior leadership of the university will be handling many of my commitments, representing me and keeping me up to date as we continue to move Cornell forward to meet the challenges of the 21st century,” she wrote.

“I am optimistic that with the support of my family, friends and the Cornell community, I will be able to resume a fuller schedule soon and manage this illness,” Garrett added. “Advances in research and clinical care in cancer offer great hope to patients like me, and Cornell and Weill Cornell lead in advancing science in this arena. I am truly grateful to all the wonderful friends and colleagues who are helping me out through this difficult process.”

9 thoughts on “President Garrett Undergoes Treatment for Cancer Diagnosis

1. I and my son Richard’ 75 met President Garrett when she visited Seattle several
    weeks ago. She has a pleasing, pleasant and enthusiastic personality
    and made a strong impression that Cornell will be in good hands under her leadership. We wish her the best of good luck with the hope of a successful
    and speedy recovery.

2. All our prayers and deep wishes for a rapid recovery to a new and highly esteemed Cornellian. We need you back on the Hill President Garret!

3. Wishing you loving arms, kindness, and the comfort of friends and family, support from emphatic professionals, during this challenging time.

4. Wishing you all the best as you fight this nasty disease. I’m sure all will be well and Cornell will celebrate your victory over cancer and your long tenure at our beloved university.