Jason Ben Nathan | Sun Senior Photographer

Sophomore midfielder Jordan Dowiak had a goal and an assist in the Red's loss to Albany

In Rematch of Last Year’s Blowout, Albany Again Quiets Cornell Men’s Lacrosse

Just like in last year’s defeat, Cornell men’s lacrosse could not muster much offense against Albany’s goalie. Great Danes’ goalkeeper Blaze Riorden finished the game with 18 saves, limiting the Red to just eight goals. Cornell lost the game, 12-8, worsening its season record to 1-2.

“It’s not like we weren’t getting opportunities,” said senior midfielder Ryan Matthews. “I think we could have finished more of our shots and taken advantage of more of those.”

Matthews had two goals in the match. The star of the game was freshman attackman Colton Rupp, who continued his excellent rookie season with four goals on just six shots.

“Obviously we have a pretty young team [and] a lot of freshmen started yesterday,” Matthews said. “But mostly these kids are really hard-working kids … so we don’t have to do much and we’re looking at a lot of those younger guys stepping up.”

Rupp is a perfect example of how freshmen have really stepped up and represented their large class. He has seven goals on the season to go along with a .412 shot percentage. Rupp and some of the other freshmen have mentioned how they look up to the younger players on the team as mentors. Matthews can attest to this.

“We try to lead not only by example but [with] the little things in practice,” he said. “You tell them how important it is to focus on certain drills and [make] sure they’re taking advantage of every opportunity that they can at practice and [showing them ] how that will translate into the game.”

Sophomore midfielder Jordan Dowiak and senior midfielder John Edmonds also each added a goal, but these stellar performances were not enough.

“I think the main focus for us is just finishing those opportunities,” Matthews said.

Matthews emphasized that the team would not change up their routine much to prepare for the game.

“I’d say right now our main focus is still the same story [as] the past week or two, just finishing the ball and continuing to generate more opportunities on offense,” he said. “But I think the main focus is just finishing the ball … shooting in better spots.”

The Red takes on the Virginia this weekend. Play begins at 12 p.m. on Saturday.