Two Cornell Researchers Earn Schwartz Award

Natasza Kurpios, assistant professor of molecular medicine, and Susan Daniel, associate professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering, received awards from the Schwartz Research Fund for Women in the Life Sciences for their work in cell signaling and viruses Tuesday, according to a University press release.

Each winner received $12,500 with the award, which seeks to encourage women in science to take risks, according to the University.

The award is endowed by Ronald Schwartz ’65 and Joan Schwartz ’65, who “throughout their careers, have been interested in supporting women in science who are taking risks,” according to Yael Levitte, associate vice provost for faculty development.

“The academic selection committee felt that the research conducted by the applicants is exciting and innovative,” Levitte said.

Kurpios works with chicken and mouse embryos to study the formation of organs and birth defects and Daniel studies virus-cell membrane fusion, according to the University.

Levitte added that there were many other outstanding candidates, and the award was very competitive.

“Reviewers noted that almost any applicant was deserving of the funds,” Levitte said. “The competition was fierce.”

The two recipients of the award were chosen from 23 candidates, according to the University.