HICKMON | Get Your Mans

Hi friends, how are you? I hope March is treating you well and that prelims and other commitments aren’t taking your sanity like they are mine. I am writing because well, there is something I need to get off my chest and it is important so I hope that as you read these words, you truly take them to heart. Dear White People, marginalized communities need you. I am sure you’re wondering what I mean by that. Don’t worry, I am about to tell you.

Now, I know The Sun’s official policy now is not to comment or report on the White Student Union, but I just have to say this. While the concept of a White Student Union at Cornell is terrifying and extremely problematic to me, what’s even more terrifying is what appears to be the lack of conversation or outrage about it from people outside of minority or marginalized communities (ie: some white students, the administration, etc.).

When the recent article in The Sun dropped describing where the White Student Union came from, how they were being supported, and what their ideology was, all of my GroupMes immediately started blowing up. In addition, I instantly felt less safe. And if I’m being honest, as a Black female on this on campus, feeling safe is always a tenuous negotiation that changes from moment to moment, classroom to classroom and day to day, because I am never fully sure of how I’m being understood, seen or approached. There’s an added burden of always feeling like I represent my community in all of the spaces I occupy so I need to be on point. Plus, there’s the job of being involved in my community because we’re all in this together and I firmly believe in the concept of lifting as one climbs. In short, my experience is layered, multi-faceted and constantly being negotiated as I go along.

And while I know that people with racist, sexist, white supremacist and other-ist ideologies exist on this campus, it’s very unnerving to think about them coming together. (Is that how y’all feel about BSU? Does the unity amongst Black students or solidarity seen among marginalized student groups at Cornell scare you or threaten your sense of safety on campus?) But I’m giving them too much shine so let me get back to the point of this column.

Dear White People, if you remain silent in the face of racist, white supremacist ideologies, conversations or marches, then you are just as bad as the person engaging in the act. Elie Wiesel said, “We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men and women are persecuted because of their race, religion or political views, that place must — at that moment — become the center of the universe.”

Do not ask me to march with you for a living wage if you will not march with me against racism. Do not ask me to stand with you for gender rights if you cannot and are not willing to try to understand how feminism is a bit different for me due to my status as both female and Black. Do not ask me to join you in the fight for queer rights if you do not care about Black and brown queer people. And when shit hits the fan, just know that if you’re not for us, you’re against us — making you an oppressor in the process. Remember when I said minority communities need you? We need to you speak up and out against organizations that threaten our peaceful and safe existence on this campus because those are your people and my words of condemnation mean little — they simply fuel their fire. Dear White People, it’s time for you to get your mans and don’t you dare claim to not be racist or to be an ally if you’re not willing to check yourself and those in your community publicly and when it counts.

Gabrielle Hickmon is a senior in the College of Industrial and Labor Relations. She can be reached at ghickmon@cornellsun.com. Gabbing with Gabby appears alternate Wednesdays this semester.

20 thoughts on “HICKMON | Get Your Mans

1. I totally agree with your main theme that neutrality is nearly as bad as promoting racist oppression. However it seems to be irrelevant to the reality at Cornell. There is nothing close to a genocide (as experienced by Elie Wiesel) at hand on campus. Your claims of not feeling “safe”, without further evidence, seem fairly baseless. How often have students been violently attacked on campus? Only in sporadic isolated incidents. I’d worry more about being hit by a car while crossing in a crosswalk. How often has there been racial violence by students? Perhaps there is an example, but I could not find a recent one. This makes these recurring claims of “feeling unsafe” more akin to paranoia (definition: a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of delusion and irrationality). Irrational? Of course, as there is no evidence or reason to believe that fellow Cornellians want to engage in any racial violence. Even if the White Students Union is real, they did not call for violence.

The claim that “White People” at Cornell are remaining silent is also delusional. Even though it looks like a hoax, many students, alumni, and the Sun have aggressively denounced the group. If there were evidence of the group truly existing, you can be sure there would not be silence on campus. Imagine the White Students Union setting up a booth on Ho Plaza and quietly handing out quartercards. The protests would be enormous.

Finally, your call for “White People” to be “an ally” is a common tactic of social manipulation which is reminiscent of giving the allies Stockholm Syndrome. It takes the earnest desire of the majority to help minorities against true oppression and directs it towards making them servile followers for publicizing the flavor of the month microaggression and shaming non-believers (non-allies). There is always the connotation that the ally is inferior; by pledging unquestioning loyalty to the “marginalized” they can gain just one iota of approval. Notice how this column begins nice: “Hi friends, how are you? … Dear White People, marginalized communities need you” and finally becomes threatening “Dear White People, it’s time for you to get your mans and don’t you dare …”

Resistance to tyranny and oppression relies on promoting reason and truth, not paranoia, manipulation, exaggeration and shaming.

2. Are you actively denouncing anti-social activity that happens in your community? When a person of colour commits a crime, do you take to social media and apologise, ask forgiveness, and issue rallying calls against these unpleasant elements?

Or do you, like any rational person, refuse to acknowledge any kind of link between you and that behaviour? That’s how us white folks feel about white-pride / racist / fascist groups, and that’s why ‘speaking out’ is everyone’s job, not just ours

And, for the record, the tone of this article is almost identical to the right-wing’s scalding of the ‘Muslims’ who don’t stop terrorism.

3. Video door entry systems can also allow identification to get displayed ahead of the door needs to become opened.
    Nowadays, video cameras are no longer an issue which is not the same as how
    it absolutely was years ago. Security cameras
    cost Each system carries a set of two or higher cameras which can be
    ultimately fitted for the main monitor that displays each image taken from the cameras outside.

They all offer basic security and surveillance on account of many interesting features, for instance video recording, infrared night vision, and motion detection. Make sure you buy from your reputable
    company which has a good website.

4. Our eyes can be easily afflicted with lights if we go through tiredness but because with the new
    method of installing wall lights, remedy to stressed eyes
    is now possible. This type of star, which
    reaches an equilibrium is called a ‘White Dwarf’.
    Ufo led grow Another huge bonus is LED’s produce extremely little heat and UV rays, which protects
    the home and in addition the eyes and skin.

The thermometer might be used to make sure that the place where
    you’ve set up your hydroponic garden comes with an adequate temperature for plants
    growing well. Being less likely to dry the plants
    out within the process, the fact that the lamps do not run all-around as hot as other lighting systems also means they are
    perfect for indoor gardening.

5. If you want to produce a radio of your own, you need to choose among these options.

At the very least, they relax when you are shopping, smke cigarettes, take a seat and talk, possibly at most
    they take on their own ambitions, leaving your group in short periods of time.
    Baofeng car radio With favorites lists, pins,
    playlists, structuring with the media collection and your
    own profiles for conversions, Audials offers a plethora of choices for personalization.

So, you have to have a fine balance of entertainment and persuasion inside your store.
    Baofeng a52 manual The main site has a large database
    of lyrics for songs and frequently an accompanying music video.

If you have a great collection toys, you are
    going to see that your kid will be taught new things with one of these simple toys also.

6. You feel too rough to your touch and is also not something I would use for very long periods.
    Continuous and prolonged utilization of laptops can result in permanent damages as far when your health is concerned.
    Recommended gaming laptop Refurbished computers are said to get computers which were
    sent back towards the manufacturers caused by
    some malfunction and give a different one being an exchange.

Creative sound is often a nationwide Acer laptop repair nerve center based agency cash London. If you will always are
    discouraged about building your personal
    pc then search own Google for custom computer building services.

7. Print out each of the images you would like to use on as few pages as you possibly can by
    re-sizing them and you could have saved paper too. Gachet, Female III, Garcon A La Pipe to Vase with Fifteen Sunflowers, straightforwardness of subject matter
    dominates the checklist from probably the most high priced paintings inside globe.
    Flower ring i pick you You is going to be able to get pictures of flower bouquets and the
    prices along with the terms for delivery.

You are able to see a more detailed guide with pictures if you’ve got a
    hard time following this post. One in particular will
    be the Tattoo Finder Company, that is recognized for offering one on the largest and a lot varied collections of tattoo pictures from
    the world.

8. Leeds was the past major city to fit CCTV but even which has now had
    the protection system constantly in place since 1996.
    IP cameras consist of easy primary house surveillance programs to advanced federal authorities types.
    Cctv international Their updated technical and technological
    acumen keeps them ahead of these peers.

You should buy video phones with colour pictures and with
    grayscale pictures too. Frames per Second: Frames per second could be the amount of full frames that a cam corder captures and sends into a recording device or monitor per second.

9. This can keep both dandruff and hairfall problem away from you.

Nuts including almonds and cashew nuts provides
    our bodies with zinc, that’s needed to the prevention of hair fall.
    What do biotin pills look like Avoid ponytails, tight hair rollers that result in pulling & stretching from the hair.

Trimming hair often is another way to make nice hair grow faster.
    Overprocessing with chemical color, straightening, or styling
    products can damage the protective cuticle in the individual hair shaft as well as the
    scalp.

10. It’s a terrific all day-all night security system which is energy efficient and highly versatile.
    Criminal offenses along with other wrong doings have reached
    an all time high. However, you may need professional help
    to setup wired cameras.

If cameras are to be utilised in an area which includes good lighting conditions,
    it’s probably best make use of a color camera. WPA also incorporates a larger performance overhead and increases
    data packet size producing longer transmission.

11. You see , the Garmin e – Trex Venture HC Handheld GPS carries a
    pretty brilliant yellow-colored style and is additionally specially particularly
    simple to function. Be it the expert gps systems or
    the Bluetooth enabled devices; Garmin continues to stand because stupendous
    name within the GPS industry.

Garmin GPS suppliers offer a wide range of GPS receivers and you are able to surf
    online and choose the one that fits your budget.
    Either way, your Garmin GPS device should be connected
    for your computer via a USB port. Garmin gps not charging Garmin hand-held GPS
    is widely available both offline and also online.

12. The following selections reviews might be of interest to you
    since you decide which camera to get. Flash recycling takes around 3-4 seconds, which too is very good.
    Best rugged camera 2015 As far since the description is anxious, you’ve got to provide brief information concerning the security
    camera like technical specifications, prices,
    and availability.

Furthermore, the beach symbolizes eternal items that exist
    on Earth, a great number of couples decide on this spot to pray
    with regards to permanent marriage. However, one does
    need to have an SD, SDHC or SDXC memory to extend the memory
    of your camera as waterproof cameras have not much internal memory.

13. If you might be simply looking for the comfortable, well-made mouse minus the frills and half-dozen buttons of more expensive models, you should definitely give vid look.
    One is a new take on Pong, another is the Breakout clone named
    one in the best games Mindjolt is offering, and 2 more that you play both Pong and Breakout
    at the same time. Best gamin mouse Mickey is the main character inside Playhouse Disney series “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

CM Storm, the gaming division of Cooler Master, announced the release of the newest baby in the storm line. While the sport sounds easy, it can be at first; but, after you add in about seven or eight different cats going every way for the board, it lets you do start to acquire hard.