Cornell has accepted 14 percent of students who applied to enroll in the Class of 2020.

Cornell’s Class of 2020 Chosen From Record Number of Applicants

This year the University received the highest number of applications in its history.

Cornell has accepted 14 percent of 44,966 applicants to the incoming Class of 2020, after receiving the the highest numbers of applications in the school’s history. For the second consecutive year, a record number of accepted students identify as underrepresented minorities, the University announced today.

Only 6,277 students were admitted to the Class of 2020, and all were alerted by 5 p.m. this evening. Another 4,572 students were placed on Cornell’s wait list, according to the University.

Students admitted to the Class of 2020 represent the evolution of Cornell’s demographics, as 1,718 students — or 27 percent of the admitted freshman class — self-identify as minorities. Approximately 49 percent of the Class of 2020 is composed of students of color, including both underrepresented minorities and Asian-Americans, the University said.

Cornell’s Class of 2020 hails from all 50 United States, in addition to Washington D.C., Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Admitted students also currently reside in 85 countries from around the globe. Over 10 percent of admitted students are international and in citizenship status, the student body represents over 100 countries outside of the United States.

Almost 700 admitted students are the first in their family to attend college, according to the University.  The proportion of women enrolled at Cornell also increases to 54.7 percent of students within the Class of 2020.

“This year’s exceptionally large application pool produced a remarkable class of scholars,” said Jason Locke, associate vice provost for enrollment. “From our first-generation students to ROTC candidates and student athletes, the Class of 2020 is incredibly talented.”

Those accepted to the incoming freshman class boasted a median SAT I Critical Reading score of 730 — the same as last year — but the SAT I Math score increased from 750 to 760, according to the University.

Locke said the Class of 2020 will be “slightly larger” than previous classes, with the University aiming for a yield of 3,275 freshman enrolled this fall, up from 3,182 last year. Students have until May 1 to determine whether they will accept the University’s offer of admission.

The University also predicts that over 60 additional freshman will enroll in Cornell in January of 2017, as the second class of students participates in the First-Year Spring Admissions program, which was established in 2015. These students have also been notified of their admissions status, according to the University.

“Each year, the admitted class raises the bar on what it means to be outstanding, and just when I think we cannot push further with our goals to broaden and diversify the incoming class, it happens,” said Shawn Felton, director of undergraduate admissions.

The admissions office anticipates that 1,800 prospective students will visit campus during “Cornell Days” from April 14-25 as they contemplate their decision. The University will also host over 400 underrepresented minority students on campus during “Diversity Hosting Month,” forum April 8-27.