GLANZEL | Why I Will Never Vote for Trump

I am about as conservative as they come — I’m pro-life, pro-gun, pro-defense, anti-tax and spend, anti-regulation, pro-tax reform and pro-school choice. I firmly believe that the free market is the best possible route to lift up the poor and working class, and that the nation cannot continue on its reckless spending spree. And it is for this very reason that I will never, under any circumstances, vote for Donald J. Trump.

Though there are many different strains of conservatism (libertarianism, populism, classical liberalism), conservatives across the board believe in a few basic principles: government is a necessary evil but should be restrained, a strong military is the best defense against tyranny and, above all, every human-being is endowed with inherent, inalienable rights. In the eyes of most conservatives, the Obama years have served as a direct assault to these ideals. As our respect in the world declines and our debt continues climb, many (myself included) feel that the nation stands at a crossroads after the Obama Administration. Thus, as a conservative, I find it perfectly reasonable to think that the nation needs to find a leader who stands in stark contrast to Obama.  Yet Donald Trump cannot be this leader.

One of the hallmarks of conservatism is a deep respect for the Constitution. Conservatives believe that the United States is not a nation of men, but a nation of laws. In fact, the Trump campaign has heavily focused on this sense of law and order. Yet Trump’s proposed ban on Muslims is a direct affront to Constitution. Certainly, Congress and the president have the authority to decide who can and cannot enter the nation based on nationality, criminal history and medical considerations. However, the First Amendment explicitly states that Congress cannot make a law “respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof” for any individual. In other words, Congress does not have the authority to make laws that focus on an individual’s religion. Based on this, constitutional scholars, such as Stephen Legomsky and William Banks, agree that Trump’s ban on individuals from a particular religion would violate the Constitution.

But above all, Trump’s ban on Muslims is morally wrong. For Mr. Trump, the religious teachings of Islam present an inherent security threat to the United States. Yet this attack on a religious/ethnic minority is not new. Throughout history, radical leaders have always attacked religious and racial minorities during times of economic hardship and security fears. From the Jews in tsarist Russia, to the Chinese in 1880s America, people have always made the fallacious claim that somehow a minority group is responsible for the nation’s woes. Personally, I would like to ask Mr. Trump a simple question: have you ever read the Qur’an? Though I do not believe in the teachings of Islam, I have read its holy book, and I can say for a fact that the Qur’an is not a text filled with venom that calls for the extermination of infidels. Those hate-filled views are only held by extremists who twist the words of the Qur’an to fit their own political agenda. For anyone who truly wants to understand the heart of Islam, do not turn to the internet’s polemics for your sources. Instead, actually read the religious texts of Islam. Though I am a proud born-again Christian, and fundamentally disagree with the teachings of the Qur’an, I firmly believe that Islam is not a religion of hatred.

While I consider the proposed ban on Muslims to be incredibly galling, nothing can compare to Trump’s comments on women.  From making fun of Carly Fiorina’s face, to publically discussing Megyn Kelly’s menstrual cycle, to saying women who receive abortions should be punished, Donald Trump is easily the definition of misogynism. It is no wonder that 70 percent of women have a negative view of Trump.

Trump has also shown a stunning lack of competence on basic policy issues. When confronted with the nuclear triad during a December debate, the businessman seemed stumped — he had no idea what the nuclear triad was. If Donald Trump is to be the Commander-in-Chief and command the most destructive nuclear force on the planet, it would probably be a good idea if he understood how our nuclear weapons system works. Furthermore, Trump has provided zero specifics on how he plans to make his proposed reforms. Trump claims that he will build the strongest military in American history. But how? What specific combat divisions will he expand? Will he embolden the Sixth Fleet? Will he replace outdated bombers? Who knows? We are essentially being told that we need to look past Trump’s lack of specifics and simply trust that he will figure it out once he gets into office.

I have certainly only scratched the surface of why Donald Trump should be disqualified from being president. I could have discussed Trump’s constant flip-flopping on abortion, gun rights, free trade, NATO involvement and the Middle East in just the past three months (let alone the past thirty years). I could have discussed his poor treatment of his fellow presidential candidates (especially Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Jeb Bush), his lack of qualifications, his lack of business success (such as his failings with Trump University, Trump Steaks, Trump Airlines, a mortgage company, Trump the Game, Trump Liquor and his four bankruptcies) and his utter vulgarity. But it would be impossible to condense that into a short 900 words — so I’ll just let it speak for itself.

Michael Glanzel is a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences. He can be reached at mg786@cornell.edu. Cornell Shrugged appears alternate Thursdays this semester. 

8 thoughts on “GLANZEL | Why I Will Never Vote for Trump

1. Let me help you understand something with a quote from the Constitution:
    “Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem as appropriate.”

So it would NOT be unconstitutional. You still have a moral argument though. My understanding is that such a ban would be temporary, and only against non-American Muslims, until we can develop a better process for vetting new Muslim immigrants coming to the U.S. to ensure there are no terrorist ties. I probably wouldn’t do that myself but in light of recent attacks, I think it is a reasonable thing to do.

2. If you think Megyn Kelly isn’t an exploiter (establishment) tool who tried to take down Trump, and you think Trump is a misogynist because of the bloodlust comments he made regarding her (while making bloodlust comments about Chris Wallace at the same time) then you might be a gullible fool subject to exploiter-funded media influence. Just like any true capitalist, Trump states “I’m just oblivious to a person’s gender” when dealing with people.

3. If you think Trump wants to punish women for having abortions, you might be a gullible fool subject to exploiter-funded media influence. Trump said he made a gaffe during convoluted conversations about hypothetical situations. He has clarified that in the real world he would like to see abortion regulations left up to each state.

Making gaffes is human, and the fact that he is willing to engage in off the cuff conversations without consulting an army of advisers first makes him different than the other politicians we have, which I see as being a very good thing.

4. If you think Trump is ignorant because he thinks it might be more pragmatic for Japan to have a nuke rather than having 54,000 U.S. troops stationed there at our expense, you might be a gullible fool subject to exploiter-funded media influence. The simple fact is that nothing ensures sovereignty like having a nuke. No country with a nuke has been or ever will be invaded. We would have never invaded Iraq if they had a nuke; in fact, the best evidence that we knew they didn’t really have any WMDs was the fact we invaded them. The 54,000 troops we have in Japan are absolutely no deterrent for North Korea, China, or anyone else; what deters them is the fact we have nukes. Furthermore, what would happen to Japan if they can’t defend themselves and we go bankrupt over the next decade or so?

5. Bankrupting only 4 business out of all the businesses Trump has owned in his life is pretty darn good actually.

As far as Trump University goes…
    It was a venture consisting of real estate seminars and guidance. It never offered any college credits; you couldn’t get public loans for it. It was similar to Dave Del Dotto’s real estate training advertised in the early 1990s. People who are saying it pretended to be a REAL university either have no integrity or are simply tools who just parrot whatever they hear. Just like any training, many benefited from it while many others did not; you actually have to make an effort and put that training to use afterward.

6. It seems like you may have been listening to our friends “PEP.”

The following message is brought to you by Puppets for the Establishment Parasites (PEP), who want to encourage you to let them finish off America so they can move on to their next host…

“You let us get this far…throw the red pill in the trash; stop trying to struggle against the hypnosis now and let us take the last few drops of blood…it will all be over soon”
    “And please remember that free trade helps America; illegal immigration helps America; policing the world is America’s moral obligation; super PACs are free speech to help poor unwitting candidates; there are no paid protesters; the news media we fund is unbiased; lobbyists are good; politicians and bureaucrats cannot be bought; your election process is not rigged; those idiotic concerns about the debt and bubbles are unfounded; our education system is the best; your privacy is always protected; the war in Iraq was necessary; Russia is evil; your government listens to you…anyone who disagrees with this reality is a lying, xenophobic, isolationist, ignorant, fascist, misogynistic, racist, terroristic, nutjob!”

7. One of the reasons I support Trump is in the hopes that Americans become more privy to the corruption we have. When party activists in Colorado can choose delegates without any input from the voters, and those activists are establishment supporters, there is nothing that will persuade those activists to pick any delegates who support an insurgent candidate. The entire process is designed to stop insurgent candidates (which is what Trump is).

Of course, the exploiter-funded pundits who call Trump a “whiner” and a “loser” because he didn’t get any of the Colorado delegates fail to mention that Trump never had a chance to get any of them in the first place as an insurgent. The rigged process was put in place to help ensure America’s exploiters maintain power. The exploiter-funded media puppets are saying that what happened was perfectly fine because the committee rules enabled them to cancel their election from the outset and then give the delegates to whomever they wanted (RIP democracy).

If Kasich were the current viable anti-insurgent candidate rather than Cruz, they would have given Kasich all of the Colorado delegates instead of Cruz. Despite that, Cruz is trying to convince people that it was his “superior organization” that deprived Trump and Kasich of getting even a single delegate…LOL. Three cheers for America, our exploiter-controlled media, our rigged election process, our two-faced politicians, and the ignorant people who don’t question any of it!

8. 90% of the cocaine here comes through our southern border; 80% of the meth and heroin here comes through our southern border! If you think Trump, who continually says “I love Mexican people,” is a xenophobe because he wants to secure our southern border, you might be a gullible fool subject to exploiter-funded media influence. Trump’s negative comments were targeted at a subset of illegal immigrants; NOT Mexicans! Illegal immigration is destroying our society (illegal immigrant children are almost always below grade level so teachers have to spend most of their time teaching at that level which hurts our children; illegal immigration keeps wages low; and the drugs from south of our border are ruining our children’s lives).