CORBIN WHYTE

Ithaca Man Charged After Police Find Money, Drugs and Guns in Vehicle

Ithaca resident Corbin Whyte, 31, was indicted on 15 criminal charges Thursday morning after police found $1,000 in cash, prescription pills, seven guns and several hundred rounds of ammunition in his vehicle, according to The Ithaca Voice.

Ithaca Police stopped Whyte at the intersection of West Seneca and Albany Street on March 28, carrying out an outstanding warrant for his arrest, according to a police department press release.

Police searched his vehicle and found a strong odor of burned marijuana as well as the allegedly unlawfully-owned weapons and drug paraphernalia, according to the press release.

Whyte was charged with seven counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, six counts of third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, one count of fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon and one count of third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, The Voice reported.

Whyte — who is currently being held at the Tompkins County Jail without bail — has previously been convicted of two felonies and five misdemeanors, according to The Voice.

On Tuesday, Ithaca City Court Judge Joseph Cassidy upheld Whyte’s no bail hold, but Whyte’s attorney Edward Goehler will file for Whyte’s bail now that Whyte has been indicted, according to The Voice.

Goehler said Whyte is unlikely to accept a plea and should be released on bail pending a trial, according to The Voice.

Whyte could face up to 20 years in prison if found guilty of his current charges, according to Tompkins County Deputy District Attorney Andrew Bonavia.