CORBIN WHYTE

CORBIN WHYTE

Ithaca Man Pleads Not Guilty to 15 Criminal Charges

Corbin Whyte, 31, was arraigned on 15 criminal charges in Tompkins County Court Wednesday afternoon. Whyte pleaded not guilty to all charges, according to The Ithaca Journal.

Whyte faced seven counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, six counts of third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, one count of fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon and one count of third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance, according to The Journal.

He was allegedly found in possession of unlawfully-owned guns and drug paraphernalia during a police traffic stop on March 28, according to a police department press release.

Whyte was indicted on April 7 after police found $1,000 in cash, prescription pills, seven guns and several hundred rounds of ammunition in his vehicle, according to The Ithaca Voice.

At the trial, Deputy District Attorney Andrew Bonavia cited Whyte’s prior criminal history — which  included convictions for second-degree criminal possession of a forged instrument and tampering with physical evidence, The Journal reported.

Bonavia argued that no bail should be set and Whyte should remain in police custody due to Whyte’s ties to the state, the weight of the evidence on charges — which Bonavia said could land Whyte five to 15 years per count in prison — and the fact that the warrant for his arrest originated in Florida, according to The Journal.

Whyte’s lawyer, Edward Goehler, said that Whyte’s local ties — which Goehler argued include several businesses in the area and two 5-year-old children and a third on the way — should keep him in the area, according to The Journal.

Goehler also noted Whyte’s attendance record at previous court appearances, saying that as a result of his attendence record, his bail should be “fair and reasonable.”

“He’s appeared when he’s had to and will appear when he has to,” Goehler told the court.

Tompkins County Judge John C. Rowley set bail at $250,000 cash or $500,000 bond. Whyte’s next court date is scheduled for May 5 and a trial for August 15, according to The Journal.

4 thoughts on “Ithaca Man Pleads Not Guilty to 15 Criminal Charges

1. Is there a connection to Cornell? Why does this man’s mugshot appear? Does it help in apprehending him? No, he is already in custody. Maybe the picture has been here for days because someone wants to reinforce a stereotype.

• When I read the story I did not think about the person’s race, if that is what YOU are implying when you mention reinforcing a stereotype.

It was YOUR mention that is doing the reinforcing, if anything.

P.S.: The Sun has published the mug shots of white people before too.

• We in the South are very sensitive about this. There is no need to publish anyone’s mugshot or any suspected criminal’s photo unless it will aid in his/her apprehension. I wasn’t implying anything about you–I don’t know you. YOU didn’t think of his race–good!–but some people will think of it. I was just tired of seeing his mugshot on the front page day after day. If there is no connection to Cornell (at least one wasn’t mentioned in the article), why publish the story, and especially the mugshot? Why doesn’t the Sun publish the mugshot of every person arrested in Tompkins County? Then it can become like one of those rags you pick up in the convenience store.

• >Maybe the picture has been here for days because someone wants to reinforce a stereotype.

What stereotype would that be, then? That black people commit vastly more violent crimes than whites and Asians? That’s just a simple fact. Here’s an infographic that breaks it down:

http://i.imgur.com/mbMlhLm.png

Rather than deny it, as you do, it’s much better to admit it, figure out what the problem is, and find a way to solve it.