Photo Courtesy of Discovery News

Photo Courtesy of Discovery News

PUTTING IT INTO FOCUS | Dear Millennials – Just Vote

Those who know me are aware  that I am not avidly involved in politics. They do know, however, that I care about the others’ well-being. I have never been passionate about discussing political agenda with my peers, but I do feel a moral obligation now, more than ever, to speak about the election, not for the sake of arguing about insider Washington politics, but for the sake of caring about the people around me and about society at large.

Every four years we elect a new president, and every four years we hear the same people on news networks arguing for and against candidates. That hasn’t changed election year. But , it is fear- not political agenda, nor the American dream- that is a major driving force behind this year’s election.

Candidates play on voters’ fears to gain their trust, and therefore, their vote. It has become a fame and power-acquiring tactic. Because this fear is a temporary emotion induced by the environment around us, it has become a main strategy in this election, and it is destroying the positive outlook we used to have about our future and the American dream. After all, it was our former President Franklin D. Roosevelt who said, “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”

What many people don’t realize are the effects of this fear’s power. It packs so much power because it has accumulates from recent events all over the world.. Many Americans want someone that understands that fear. That is why someone like Donald Trump has become so popular. He draws on a voter’s deepest insecurities and manipulates the feelings of others to become the leader of the free world. It is this thought process that dominates this election. Economy, social justice, foreign policy – none of that matters so long as deep-rooted, mutual fears are addressed, either explicitly or subliminally.

As millennials, students at Cornell and at universities nation-wide have a major say in this election. We are mutually hopeful, optimistic, empathetic and passionate. We care for the world around us, we have a fresh outlook about our future, and we, together, have a major say in who wins this election. United, we can reinforce that our country can follow an optimistic route, remind ourselves of the great place we live in, and communicate our new ideas for making America an even better and safer place for our children and grandchildren.

Millenials have gotten a lot of negativity over the years for being preoccupied with social media. Yet, what many don’t realize is that social media is playing an important role in this election. Millennials are both actors and audience members online. We may internalize the environment around us through platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, but we also play a major role in influencing other millennials around us through these same social media outlets. College students therefore have such a large impact this election year, which explains why college voter turnout is so integral.

Therefore, whether you are a politics rookie or junkie, we should coalesce to fight the negativity that is so characteristic of current campaigns. We can stop the fear-inducing political schemes of candidates, including those who claim they are political outsiders. The negative outlook expressed daily only deviates from a discussion of real issues that  influence the economy, the environment and our international relationships. Using our power to vote, we can push out negative agendas and prove a major force in the political world. Let’s exercise our right this week, as we go on the path to choosing our party nominees.

7 thoughts on “PUTTING IT INTO FOCUS | Dear Millennials – Just Vote

1. Indicated by the nature of your post is that, in absolutely zero of your social circles—be they family, friends, peers, or coworkers—do any of them support Donald Trump, nor have you ever so much as spoken to anyone who does.

Trump has a wide variety of issue stances ranging from trade reform to campaign finance reform to immigration fast-tracking and increased partnership and dialogue with those who are, or were, our enemies in contested regions (namely Russia/Iran).

Claiming his supporters are “manipulated” instead of researching what they believe or acknowledging that different Americans have different political priorities shows a lack of respect or remote understanding of the topic you write about.

If you do not like Donald Trump, then debate his supporters on the issues he talks about and the specific plans that he has released. Do not dismiss them because by painting the man as a demagogue and spreading fear of him, it ironically makes you look like the one being manipulated, not them.

Millenials are diverse and have many different political opinions. Don’t treat them like a reliably moldable voting block.

2. One of the reasons I support both Trump and Sanders is in the hopes that Americans become more privy to the corruption we have. When party activists in Colorado can choose delegates without any input from the voters, and those activists are establishment supporters, there is nothing that will persuade those activists to pick any delegates who support an insurgent candidate. The entire process is designed to stop insurgent candidates (which is what Trump is).

Of course, the exploiter-funded pundits who call Trump a “whiner” and a “loser” because he didn’t get any of the Colorado delegates fail to mention that Trump never had a chance to get any of them in the first place as an insurgent. The rigged process helps to ensure America’s exploiters maintain power. The exploiter-funded media puppets are saying that what happened was perfectly fine because the committee rules enabled them to cancel their election from the outset and then give the delegates to whomever they wanted (RIP democracy).

If Kasich were the current viable anti-insurgent candidate rather than Cruz, they would have given Kasich all of the Colorado delegates instead of Cruz. Despite that, Cruz is trying to convince people that it was his “superior organization” that deprived Trump and Kasich of getting even a single delegate…LOL. Three cheers for America, our exploiter-controlled media, our rigged election process, our two-faced politicians, and the ignorant people who don’t question any of it!

3. If you think Trump is a racist who sees any color other than green, you might be a gullible fool subject to exploiter-funded media influence. Take a look at his life and career; he has always hired, worked with, and supported people of all walks of life. Furthermore, Illegal immigrants and Muslims are not races. Muslims are great people; unfortunately, the terrorists we are at war with are a small sect within that group, so while the idea of being extra vigilant about vetting new immigrants from that group is regrettable, it would also be prudent for our own safety. The big exploiters love having their puppets use labels of racism to tear down people they don’t control (Ross Perot, Ron Paul, Trump, etc); don’t fall for it!

If you think Megyn Kelly isn’t an exploiter (establishment) tool who tried to take down Trump, and you think Trump is a misogynist because of the bloodlust comments he made regarding her (while making bloodlust comments about Chris Wallace at the same time) then you might be a gullible fool subject to exploiter-funded media influence. Trump states “I’m just oblivious to a person’s gender” when dealing with people, and it is obvious that he takes on opponents of any shape, size, color, and gender in a similar fashion.

If you think Trump is an isolationist because he wants fair trade, you might be a gullible fool subject to exploiter-funded media influence. “Free-trade” comes at a huge cost to workers in developed countries! The end result is that America will produce nothing and will provide no services outside our borders because services and products will always be cheaper from poorer countries. Anyone who says anything else concerning free-trade is either lying, or is completely clueless. American middle class workers can only survive and thrive with “FAIR-trade.”

90% of the cocaine in America comes through our southern border; 80% of the meth and heroin in America also comes through our southern border! If you think Trump, who continually says “I love Mexican people,” is a xenophobe because he wants to secure our southern border, you might be a gullible fool subject to exploiter-funded media influence. Trump’s negative comments were targeted at a subset of illegal immigrants (which he has clarified many times); NOT Mexicans! Illegal immigration is destroying our society (illegal immigrant children are almost always below grade level so teachers have to spend most of their time teaching at that level, which hurts our children; illegal immigration keeps wages low; and the drugs from south of our border are ruining our children’s lives).

If you think Trump wants to punish women for having abortions, you might be a gullible fool subject to exploiter-funded media influence. Trump said he made a gaffe during a convoluted conversation involving a hypothetical situation. He has clarified that in the real world he would like to see abortion regulations left up to each state. Making gaffes is human, and having a politician willing to engage in “off the cuff” conversations without consulting an army of advisers beforehand is refreshing.

If you think Trump is ignorant because he thinks it might be more pragmatic for Japan to have a nuke rather than having 54,000 U.S. troops stationed there at our expense, you might be a gullible fool subject to exploiter-funded media influence. The simple fact is that nothing ensures sovereignty like having a nuke. No country with a nuke has been or ever will be invaded. We would have never invaded Iraq if they had a nuke; in fact, the best evidence that we knew they didn’t really have any WMDs was the fact we invaded them. The 54,000 troops we have in Japan are absolutely no deterrent for North Korea, China, or anyone else; what deters them is the fact we have nukes. Furthermore, what would happen to Japan if they can’t defend themselves and we go bankrupt over the next decade or so?

4. Super-PACs MUST be banned! They give a few wealthy exploiters the ability to shape our entire political system; they allow for absurdly unequal representation! The people and corporations funding these PACs have acquired their wealth from selling out America through political favors, endless wars, unfair trade deals, exploiting foreign labor, exploiting illegal labor within our borders, creating insurmountable debt for our children, and maintaining a rigged election process that ensures nothing will change. Super-PACs are a direct conflict of interest and an absolute corrupting force!

In my opinion, any candidate who doesn’t demand their super-PACs disband in the name of democracy and the people is a flat out TRAITOR to America! Exploiter puppets Clinton and Cruz will never do this like Trump and Sanders have; instead, they will continue feigning powerlessness and ignorance regarding super-PACs. Anyone who votes for these conniving two-faced lawyers is voting to continue selling out America!

If someone with Trump’s resources can’t run without being shredded by exploiter-funded super-PACs and media pundits, how does someone like me or you have a chance? The answer is that, unless we are lackeys like Clinton and Cruz, whom those same exploiters also fund, we don’t! The process is rigged; you can watch a great example of how the media takes things out of context and falsely demonizes non-controlled candidates like Trump by searching for and viewing “The Untruth about Donald Trump” video.

5. Trump has benefited from a corrupt system and understands what must be done to fix it. It would be far easier for him to just continue buying politicians if he wanted to keep taking advantage rather than running for POTUS. As such, I have to believe he actually wants to help America more than he wants to continue taking advantage. He made his riches and now I think he wants to focus on his legacy, and wants to be remembered for righting America’s ship (who cares if that’s ego driven; I would happily help build him a statue if he succeeds). Consequently, those who want to continue exploiting are scared and doing everything they can to stop him; they are even hiring clueless tools through craigslist to go to his rallies and hold up a “Trump is a racist” sign while yelling at his supporters for $16 per hour.