Suspects Flee Late Night Altercation on College Ave

Cornell Police responded to reports of an ongoing fight at approximately at 2:20 a.m. on Sunday. The exchange left one male Cornellian with “substantial injuries.”

When the officers arrived to the scene they found a male Cornell student who had been injured during the dispute that had just taken place on College Ave. near Myron Taylor Hall, according to a CUPD crime alert.

The injured student reported that he was trying to defuse a fight between a friend — who was not a Cornellian — and several Asian males and an Asian female, the release said. The victim then reported that he was assaulted by additional Asian people who joined the group after the altercation had started.

The cause or nature of this altercation are currently unknown to the CUPD. Immediately after the fight all suspects fled the area, heading southbound on College Avenue.

Despite incurring serious injuries, the student victim refused medical treatment at the scene. CUPD’s investigation of this incident is open and ongoing.

4 thoughts on “Suspects Flee Late Night Altercation on College Ave

1. What kind of reporting is this – “Asian people”? Did someone check birth certificates or citizenship papers during the altercation? Might they be American citizens of Asian origin, perhaps second or third generation in the USA? Would we similarly say “Italian people” or “Irish people” if that appeared to be their ethnic heritage? And if you’re going to give the alleged ethnic origin of the alleged attackers, why not the injured student as well? Is he a “Russian” student? “Mexican”? Or are we to assume he’s a good, red-blooded white American? Shoddy journalism here.

2. “Diffuse” is not the same as “defuse.” How the writing standards at the Sun have fallen. Sad, says a former columnist.

3. Perhaps this article was edited to change “diffuse” to “defuse”. If not, defuse is correct usage, diffuse would be wrong, and the criticism is unfounded.

The passage containing the references to Asian students describes the contents of a crime alert released by the CUPD which, in turn, relates the injured student’s account of the incident. Assuming that the article accurately conveys the contents of CUPD’s alert, the story is accurate. The reporter is not to blame if either the crime alert or the student’s account is flawed or inaccurate.

Given the delicate nature of this situation, CUPD might have been wiser to withhold the ethnic identities involved pending further investigation.

All that being said, Sad’s handle sums up my feelings.