Sen. Ted Cruz announces that he is suspending his presidential campaign at a primary night rally in Indianapolis.

ERIC ERIC THAYER / NEW YORK TIMES

Cornell Republicans React to Likely Trump Nomination

When Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tx.) suspended his campaign after Donald Trump’s Indiana victory Tuesday night, Cornell Republicans were forced to face the increasingly likely prospect of Trump as the GOP nomination.

Former First Vice Chair of  Cornell Republicans Jake Zhu ’18 said  he believes Trump’s win Tuesday was predictable, although, “the wins that he has netted throughout the entire campaign [have] been an absolute surprise.”

“Like many have said before, experts from all over the political spectrum expected the Trump phenomenon to fade away by October at the latest,” he said.

Olivia Corn ’19, Chair of Cornell Republicans, said she believes with Trump’s win in Indiana, it is “blatantly obvious” that he will become the Republican nominee.

“Donald Trump was polling over 30 percentage points ahead of Ted Cruz in California, before Ted Cruz suspended his campaign and will probably win all 172 delegates, putting him within 12 delegates of the nomination,” Corn said.  “Therefore, him reaching this 41 percent is almost a guarantee, especially with only Gov. John Kasich (R-Ohio) left to face him.”

Zhu said that he believes Trump’s appeal stems from his ability to speak candidly.

“Many people I have encountered know honestly that his platform is ludicrous, that his beliefs are ridiculous, and that he won’t get anything done,” Zhu said. “However, these same people showed up to vote for Trump. Why? Because he doesn’t speak through a filtration system. His speech and his words are uncensored. And brute honesty is what the American people want to hear. That is why Trump won tonight. And that is why Trump will capture the nomination come mid-summer.”

According to Corn, Trump’s nomination will split the Republicans into “those who like Trump and those who don’t.”

“Because many disgruntled Ted Cruz fans will either not vote or possibly vote for an independent due to their ‘Never Trump’ mindset, there is a strong possibility Trump will lose in the general election,”  Corn said.

Austin McLaughlin ’18, Senior Vice Chair of Cornell Republicans, called that Cruz’s campaign suspension a watershed moment.

“While I have been against Ted Cruz for some time, his dropping out marks a turning point,” he said. “The Indiana primary has shattered any hopes of a GOP nomination that is not Donald Trump and it has made Trump’s nomination a chilling reality.”

Zhu said he finds it “eerie” that Cruz dropped out of the race so abruptly.

“This is a man I have a lot of respect for,” Zhu said. “Since his high school days, he planned out a journey for himself. A journey that he has followed through with excellence … until now. Nowhere else can you see a young high school student expressing confidence that he will go to Princeton, become a senator of a state and ultimately go on to become President.”

Corn said she believes a Trump nomination would lead to Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s ascension to the presidency.

“What this unfortunately means is a Hillary Clinton presidency, because a large part of the United States greatly dislikes Hillary, but an even larger number abhors Trump,” Corn said.

However, Zhu shared his incredulity about any guarantee of Clinton’s  future success.

“So is Hillary enough to stop Trump?” he said. “I think we may be in for a surprise come November. Especially if the Bernie voters don’t show up for Hillary.”

4 thoughts on “Cornell Republicans React to Likely Trump Nomination

1. Why don’t we hand this reality game show host the

United Stated Of America because, with incredible

tax breaks and mutable bankruptcies he made

billions of dollars off his deceased fathers massive empire.

But, What people really like…. He’s Nasty

2. Yeah it’s not just Cruz fans who won’t be showing up for Trump. This election cycle has seen the party double down on precisely the issues that make people hate Republicans. The party of small government is a letdown, and to be honest, it’s kind of been headed that way for a while. Trump is an authoritarian, and it’s not even clear he’s to the right of Clinton economically. At least she supported NAFTA at one point. The premise of limited government is that the people are often wrong. It’s pretty clear the facts are in evidence. Here’s to a divided government for the next four years!

3. I’m no fan of Hillary Clinton’s. Had she been President–or even Secretary of State, then we probably would not have negotiated a nuclear deal with Iran. And had we not negotiated a deal with Iran, we would probably have gone to war with Iran to halt their nuclear program. I expect more of the same neoconservative foreign policy agenda from her that got us into an unnecessary war in Iraq.

Having said that, Donald Trump’s foreign policy would be a disaster. Our country will survive four years of Hillary. I’m not sure it will support four years of Trump.

Donald Trump’s contempt for the military and our veterans is off the chart. I urge you all to Google and read “Trump at War” by Andy Kroll. It is a long article, but every paragraph is worth reading. Here are a few passages that will give you a taste of what’s in it. Homework assignment for Trump supporters–read this article and explain why you think this country can survive four years of Trump.

——————————————————————————————————–

“Trump’s pronouncements on foreign policy, combined with his years of broadsides, have set off a very real fear within military circles about what might happen were he to become president. In the last two months, I spoke with dozens of people in the national security realm—current and retired officers, veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and former White House, State Department, Pentagon and CIA officials. The words they used to describe their mood: Terrified. Shocked. Appalled. Never before, they say, has a candidate gotten so close to the White House with such little respect for the military.” . . .

Richard Kohn, an expert in civil-military relations and retired professor at the University of North Carolina called Trump’s foreign policy advises, “probably the least qualified group of foreign policy and national security advisers I’ve ever seen or even heard of.” . . .

“For even the savviest of presidents, the relationship between a commander in chief and his military is famously fraught, an intricate dance of egos and agendas, worldviews and bureaucracies. A President Trump, however, could usher in a clash of historic proportions. ‘If you take the man at his word,’ said Michael Breen, the president of the Truman National Security Project and a decorated former Army officer, ‘we have a presidential candidate who seems to have committed himself to triggering what would probably be the greatest crisis in civil-military relations since the American Civil War.'”