The Cornell Daily Sun

FROM THE EDITORS: A New Horizon for The Cornell Daily Sun

Here at The Sun, our foremost task is to serve the public by producing quality, comprehensive reporting.

What this mission means has changed over the years. Increasingly, the most informative news is not published a day later, in next day’s paper issue, but rather continuously updated online. Additionally, without the time or space constraints of a print paper, stories published digitally are becoming more comprehensive and drawing on multimedia and graphical elements to tell more thorough narratives.

As a result, more and more Cornellians are finding our stories through social media and our website than in the newsstands. We strive to provide the stories you want to read on the platforms you use, and for the past semester, we’ve closely examined how we can do that better.

So, starting in the fall semester, The Sun will print three days a week — on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. By freeing ourselves from the constraints of a daily print model, we are pushing ourselves further to pursue top-quality, around-the-clock journalism. Fueling our decision to restructure the print production is an ambitious vision for The Sun.

We aspire to bring you breaking news, sports updates and arts coverage as soon as possible. We aim to provide more investigative reporting, in-depth opinion pieces and dynamic multimedia on the issues you care about. We endeavor to actively and thoughtfully showcase the diversity and complexity of this campus. Ultimately, we are fully dedicating ourselves to improving the quality and depth of our journalism.

Pursuing these goals is no easy task, but we will work with persistence and determination. Over the coming months, we will expand and strengthen our website, incorporating more graphic and interactive features. We will put more thought and effort in recruiting, training and mentoring our staff in order to build a more collaborative community of writers, editors, photographers, designers, videographers and business associates.

We will also rethink our print paper, which remains integral to our coverage, and use it to showcase more in-depth stories from all sections. Our three print publications each week will evolve to feature long-form features and polished, extensive stories. With stronger pieces from news, opinion, sports, arts, dining and science, we will give you more compelling reasons to pick up The Sun’s physical copies.

We’ve reached a pivotal moment in history of The Cornell Daily Sun. Excited as we are to lead The Sun in this new direction, we also know we’ll be making mistakes. In the midst of this exciting progress, we want to hear your thoughts and feedback. Please never hesitate to email us at editor@cornellsun.com, find us on Facebook, or stop by at our office at 139 West State Street.

More than just being a daily, The Sun is becoming a 24/7 publication — your go-to source for Cornell news and opinion at any time of day, in print and online. Thank you for joining us on this wild adventure, and stay tuned.

Sofia Hu ’17, editor in chief
Phoebe Keller ’18, managing editor
Paulina Glass ’18, associate editor

32 thoughts on “FROM THE EDITORS: A New Horizon for The Cornell Daily Sun

1. The difference between this letter and the one sent to alumni: mentioning that The Sun needed to do this to stay afloat financially. These goals seem like smoke and mirrors but maybe I’m wrong

• Couldn’t agree more. Be real to your readers, guys. This is largely a financial decision made out of necessity.

2. One has to assume that this means the website will be inundated with even more advertising content and that eventually access will be moved to a pay-for-subscription basis. I wonder if there will be a 135th Editorial Board?

3. Financial or not, this matches the way people read their news – Go Cornell Daily Sun! I look forward to keeping up with your high quality stories from afar.

4. I think it would probably be a good idea to scrap the paper version and be 100% digital. Lower costs, better for the environment, less clutter around study areas. Most papers seemed to go unread and the ones that are used are frequently just for glancing at the headlines. The only point of a physical paper seemed to be to have on hand to show off to various visitors such as alumni, recruiters, speakers, and prospective students. Unfortunately, I don’t see the Sun making any of them see us in a more positive light.

But at the same time, it’s crazy how expensive tuition is (and increasing exponentially) and yet very basic, standard sort of things like the student newspaper can’t make ends meet financially. What sort of financial support does the Sun receive from Cornell? Where is all of the money going? The usual suspects are administrators, sports teams, and the like. But this is really insane.

• Huh, I didn’t realize that. Has it always been? Is this the norm for college newspapers? I’m really surprised.

• The Sun shares with many peers complete financial independence from its host university, but it is unique in following the for-profit corporate format. All other independent college papers are in 501c3 non-profit format. The Sun can’t accept donations on tax-deductible terms to its donors. A separate alumni association can accept tax-deductible donations, but divided responsibility has led to governance gaps that have drained Sun capital resources essentially to zero.

5. Guys it might be controversial but it’s honestly a fantastic idea; this is the way the industry is shifting… people that oppose it are talking out of their assholes

6. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - Agweal

7. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - Castwb

8. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - Dolilodge

9. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - Essentials Echo

10. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - Farmissy

11. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - Fitness Athlet

12. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - SFO Assets

13. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - New York Times - Dectimes

14. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - Forctr

15. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - On The Rise

16. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - Subicevac

17. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - Informer Master

18. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - Alerts Editor

19. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - Age Dech

20. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - Ac Stories

21. Pingback: The Cornell Daily Sun Won't Be Daily Anymore - How to do everything!

22. Pingback: At Cornell, the College Daily Will No Longer Be Daily - Column Diary

23. Pingback: A New Horizon for The Cornell Daily Sun – Cornell Sun Alumni