Cameron Pollack / Sun File Photo

Student leaders advocate for Slope Day participants to eat meals and stay hydrated.

Cornell Creates Slope Day Breakfast Initiative

In addition to Walk the Moon and Cash Cash, Slope Day will also bring a free breakfast initiative and modified Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit bus routes to campus.

A free breakfast program will be implemented for the first time this year, according to Yamini Bhandari ’17, undergraduate trustee, Prawallika Gangidi ’17, director of Cornell Emergency Medical Service and Matthew Indimine ’18, incoming executive vice president of the Student Assembly.

This initiative was developed by Slope Day Programming Board and SOBER@Cornell — an organization founded in 2012 by several students in recovery looking to provide support for students in sobriety, according to Indimine.

The program aims to prevent potential alcohol emergencies by encouraging students to eat before traveling to morning festivities, according to Gangidi and Zachary Petrucci ’16, EMS director of operations.

Food will be distributed at three locations on campus — Baker Tower, 626 Thurston and outside Anabel Taylor Hall, according to Indimine.

“[The initiative] gets people in the mindset of eating, hydrating and taking care of their body on Slope Day,” Gangidi and Petrucci said. “The distribution of breakfast is good in that it will allow students the opportunity to eat a full breakfast, so that they have enough energy for the day.”

As a last minute tip, Indimine said: “Be smart and safe. Don’t try to sneak things in — they’re smarter than you think!”

Gangidi and Petrucci advised students to remember to apply suntan lotion regularly, to keep hydrated and to eat throughout the day.

The day-to-day operations of the TCAT bus routes will also be modified in preparation for Slope Day, according to a Tompkins County press release.

Given that the concert closes off access to several streets on campus, including West Avenue and Campus Road, bus routes typically requiring those passages will be detoured.

West Avenue will be closed from Wednesday until Friday morning, and Campus Road will be closed from 11 a.m. until Thursday evening, according to the release. All affected routes can be found on the TCAT website.