Brittney Chew | Sun Assistant Photography Editor

June 28, 2016

Shonn Miller ’15 Signs Summer League Deal With Utah Jazz

<

p class=”p1″>Shonn Miller ’15 signed a summer league deal with the Utah Jazz on Tuesday. The contract was first reported by David Pick.

Summer league play will take place July 4-7 in Salt Lake City and then continues in Las Vegas from July 8-18. A strong performance from Miller could help the Euclid, OH. native earn a spot on the Jazz’s regular season roster.

Miller, who earned two first team all-Ivy nods with the Red, most recently played for UConn. The 6-foot-7 forward transferred to the school due to an Ivy League eligibility rule that prohibits grad students from competing in athletics.

While he was with Cornell, Miller scored a total of 1,065 points and currently ranks in the top 15 in the program’s history in rebounds and in the top four in blocks, even while he only competed for three years.

Miller averaged 16.8 points and 8.6 rebounds per game his senior year, earning a unanimous spot on the all-conference team. His season was highlighted by a 24-point, 15-rebound performance against Harvard and a career-high 28-point outburst against Radford, among others.

Recruited heavily as his senior year in Ithaca wound down, Miller selected UConn as his postgrad school. While with the Huskies, he averaged 12.3 points per game while shooting 57 percent from the floor. He also helped the storied basketball program to an American Athletic Conference title. The team earned a bid to the NCAA tournament, where they lost in the second round.

Miller may be joining some of his UConn teammates in the NBA. Sterling Gibbs signed a summer league deal as well, while Daniel Hamilton was drafted 56th overall in last week’s draft. Columbia guard Maodo Lo also earned a spot on a summer league team, inking a deal with the Philadelphia 76ers Monday