Junior Jack Gellatly runs through Brown's defense in last year's 44-24 loss against the Bears.

Jason Ben Nathan | Sun Senior Photographer

Cornell Football Ranked Last in Ivy League Preseason Poll

After finishing 1-9 in the 2015 season, Cornell football was ranked last in the Ivy League in a preseason poll by select media members.

The Red totaled 20 points in the poll, six fewer than last year when the team was also ranked last in the preseason rankings.

In 2015, Cornell’s lone victory came in a 3-0 defensive standoff against Columbia, marking the second straight year the Red avoided a winless season by defeating the Lions in the second-to-last week of the year.

Columbia finished 2-8 last season and was ranked seventh in the poll. The Lions tied for last in the conference with Cornell in 2015, only picking up a victory against Yale, ranked fourth in Tuesday’s poll.

Harvard earned a first place spot in the rankings for the sixth time in nine years. The Crimson, which captured a share of the Ivy crown last year, was ranked first on seven of the 17 ballots.

Penn — last year’s surprise conference co-champion —  earned more first places votes than Harvard, but was ranked second in the poll. While they were ranked sixth in the 2015 preseason poll, the Quakers ended last season with a 6-1 in-conference record.

Brown, slotted at sixth in the poll, garnered the final first place vote. Rounding out the top three is Dartmouth, also a co-champion from last season. Princeton took the fifth spot after finishing last year with a 2-5 record.

Cornell will begin its season on September 17 on the road against Bucknell.

In a teleconference Tuesday, head coach David Archer ’05 indicated that sophomore Dalton Banks would start at quarterback if the season began tomorrow, although he made sure to emphasize that “a lot could change during camp.”

“I really look forward to seeing these competitions heating up to keep moving Cornell in the right direction,” Archer said.

Rank School  Points
 1  Harvard (7)  126
 2  Penn (9)  119
 3  Dartmouth  83
 4  Yale  81
 5  Princeton  79
 6  Brown (1)  61
 7  Columbia  43
 8  CORNELL  20

7 thoughts on “Cornell Football Ranked Last in Ivy League Preseason Poll

1. one of only two win in two years I believe was Columbia where my parents went to school; they are awful and getting worst; in my years 1979 the lacrosse team ruled i met Mike French in intramural sports but did not know who he was as an All American; be a lacrosse fan ever since now live in lacrosse country NC

2. “Cornell ranked last in the ivy league…” there’s something i’m tired of hearing -_- #GuessIShouldBeUsedToIt

3. This is a make or break year for Coach Archer and his staff. “Moving in the direction” for the Cornell football program needs to ultimately translate into wins! Anything less than 4 wins should be viewed as a hard look at the coaching staff. When is the administration going to get serious about Cornell athletics, and in particular the football program. No indoor practice facility, no West Stands at Schoellkopf and a perpetual losing program.

4. Good thing the University invested a fair chunk of $$$ in renovating elements of Schoelkopf Stadium — now the <100 people who come to watch a sad excuse for a football team will be able to do so in some comfort. I hear they also expanded access points for the parking facilities — make it easier for fans to leave a halftime when Cornell is down by a couple of touchdowns. Don't forget to pat 'Touchdown the Bear' statue on your way out.

5. I hope our senior administration & Board of Trustees do what’s necessary to turn the ship around. You are what your record is.

6. Pingback: Cornell goes 3-0 in Spain summer tour – Ivy Hoops Online