Cornell College of Business Members Promote School Unity

Three task forces comprised of faculty from the three merged schools in the College of Business were formed over the summer to promote unity in the new school.

“Several task forces were set up to focus specifically on issues such as Career Services; Student Services; Alumni Affairs & Development; Diversity & Inclusion; Undergraduate Admissions; Centers & Institutes; and Mission Vision & Values,” said Rohit Verma, the college’s deputy dean designate of external relations.

These task forces are currently in the process of issuing reports on their respective areas. The reports will be presented as advice to the administrators of the college, according to Verma. Some have already completed their reports.

“The recommendations from task forces are brought forward to the CCB leadership team for further discussion prior to any final decision about implementation,” Verma said.

One of the purposes of these tasks forces was to forge connections between members of the three different schools.

“This inclusive and deliberately planned iterative process has engaged faculty and staff from all three schools,” Verma said. “Now that the students are back on campus, we hope to engage them in the process as well.”

The area coordinators of the College have also made a great deal of progress in creating cohesiveness between the schools, according to Prof. Glen Dowell, management, area coordinator.

“My role [as area coordinator] is to try to foster the development of an academic area that crosses the three schools, yet maintains the distinctiveness that the three have,” Dowell said. “I am bringing faculty together to share research interests, and learn how we can help each other get research and teaching done better.”

Dowell explained that despite his new duty as an area coordinator, he remains a professor first and foremost.

“I’m the bridge between faculty and administration — I liken it to a team captain in sports, where I help set the tone for the area and I liaise between the area faculty and various deans, but I’m still principally a faculty member, not an administrator,” Dowell said.

Area coordinators held meetings about future plans for CCB, according to Chris Barret, CCB Deputy Dean and Dean of Academic Affairs.

“Most of these discussions lay the foundation for advances to be seen over a period of years as the faculty evolve curriculum, open up new course offerings, align teaching and research interests, etc,” Barret said. “Many faculty are excited to be better connected to their colleagues in sister Schools and see opportunities for new teaching and research.”

The area coordinators and task forces will continue their work in the coming months.

7 thoughts on “Cornell College of Business Members Promote School Unity

1. I hope the Cornell Republicans follow the lead of the Harvard Republican Club. The following is from their FaceBook page:

“Dear Members and Alumni,

In every presidential election since 1888, the members and Executive Board of the Harvard Republican Club have gathered to discuss, debate, and eventually endorse the standard-bearer of our party. But for the first time in 128 years, we, the oldest College Republicans chapter in the nation, will not be endorsing the Republican nominee.

Donald Trump holds views that are antithetical to our values not only as Republicans, but as Americans. The rhetoric he espouses –from racist slander to misogynistic taunts– is not consistent with our conservative principles, and his repeated mocking of the disabled and belittling of the sacrifices made by prisoners of war, Gold Star families, and Purple Heart recipients is not only bad politics, but absurdly cruel.

If enacted, Donald Trump’s platform would endanger our security both at home and abroad. Domestically, his protectionist trade policies and draconian immigration restrictions would enlarge our federal deficit, raise prices for consumers, and throw our economy back into recession. Trump’s global outlook, steeped in isolationism, is considerably out-of-step with the traditional Republican stance as well. The flippancy with which he is willing to abdicate the United States’ responsibility to lead is alarming. Calling for the US’ withdrawal from NATO and actively endorsing nuclear proliferation, Donald Trump’s foreign policy would wreak havoc on the established world order which has held aggressive foreign powers in check since World War II.

Perhaps most importantly, however, Donald Trump simply does not possess the temperament and character necessary to lead the United States through an increasingly perilous world. The last week should have made obvious to all what has been obvious to most for more than a year. In response to any slight –perceived or real– Donald Trump lashes out viciously and irresponsibly. In Trump’s eyes, disagreement with his actions or his policies warrants incessant name calling and derision: stupid, lying, fat, ugly, weak, failing, idiot –and that’s just his “fellow” Republicans.

He isn’t eschewing political correctness. He is eschewing basic human decency.

Donald Trump, despite spending more than a year on the campaign trail, has either refused or been unable to educate himself on issues that matter most to Americans like us. He speaks only in platitudes, about greatness, success, and winning. Time and time again, Trump has demonstrated his complete lack of knowledge on critical matters, meandering from position to position over the course of the election. When confronted about these frequent reversals, Trump lies in a manner more brazen and shameless than anything politics has ever seen.
    Millions of people across the country are feeling despondent. Their hours have been cut, wages slashed, jobs even shipped overseas. But Donald Trump doesn’t have a plan to fix that. He has a plan to exploit that.

Donald Trump is a threat to the survival of the Republic. His authoritarian tendencies and flirtations with fascism are unparalleled in the history of our democracy. He hopes to divide us by race, by class, and by religion, instilling enough fear and anxiety to propel himself to the White House. He is looking to to pit neighbor against neighbor, friend against friend, American against American. We will not stand for this vitriolic rhetoric that is poisoning our country and our children.

President Reagan called on us to maintain this, our shining city on a hill. He called on us to maintain freedom abroad by keeping a strong presence in the world. He called on us to maintain liberty at home by upholding the democratic process and respecting our opponents. He called on us to maintain decency in our hearts by loving our neighbor.

He would be ashamed of Donald Trump. We are too.

This fall, we will instead focus our efforts on reclaiming the Republican Party from those who have done it considerable harm, campaigning for candidates who will uphold the conservative principles that have defined the Republican Party for generations. We will work to ensure both chambers of Congress remain in Republican hands, continuing to protect against executive overreach regardless of who wins the election this November.

We call on our party’s elected leaders to renounce their support of Donald Trump, and urge our fellow College Republicans to join us in condemning and withholding their endorsement from this dangerous man. The conservative movement in America should not and will not go quietly into the night.

A longtime student of American democracy, Alexis de Tocqueville once said, “America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”

De Tocqueville believed in the United States. Americans are a decent people. We work hard, protect our own, and look out for one another in times of need, regardless of the color of our skin, the God we worship, or our party registration. Donald Trump may not believe in that America, but we do. And that America will never cease to be great.

The Harvard Republican Club”

2. I have put together an annotated reading list of dozens of important articles about Trump. It isn’t complete—compiling a complete list of his outrages would be a full time job. But I think it will be useful to anyone who needs wants to show others just how unfit Trump is for President.

http://themessinglink.com/DonaldTrumpReadings

Here is a small sample from my reading list.

4. Donald Trump’s Ghostwriter Tells All Jane Mayer, The New Yorker, July 25, 2016

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

Tony Schwartz spent 18 months working very closely with Donald Trump as his ghostwriter for “Art of the Deal”. He started speaking out about his experience with Trumb because

————————-Begin quote from Mayer’s article——————

. . . the prospect of President Trump terrified him. It wasn’t because of Trump’s ideology—Schwartz doubted that he had one. The problem was Trump’s personality, which he considered pathologically impulsive and self-centered. . . .

“I put lipstick on a pig,” he said. “I feel a deep sense of remorse that I contributed to presenting Trump in a way that brought him wider attention and made him more appealing than he is.” He went on, “I genuinely believe that if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization.”

If he were writing “The Art of the Deal” today, Schwartz said, it would be a very different book with a very different title. Asked what he would call it, he answered, “The Sociopath.”

————————-End quote from Mayer’s article——————

See also this video of Tony Schwartz speaking about Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq-OUClcLF0

Compare what Tony Schwartz said about Trump with what Jack O’Donnell, a man who worked with him for 3 years said about him. (the next one on this list.)

5. I know Trump, and he’s not fit to be president, by Jack O’Donnell, Tucsom.com/Arizona Daily Star, 8/13/16

http://tucson.com/news/opinion/column/guest/jack-o-donnell-i-know-trump-and-he-s-not/article_f17eb3ec-dcb6-5e6b-9803-d7b13a4caeb0.html

Compare what Jack O’Donnell, who worked for Trump for 3 years, said about him with what Tony Schwartz, who worked very closely with Trump for 18 months said about him (number 4 above).

————————-Begin Jack O’Donnell quote——————

I will be upfront and begin this column by stating that I am not a Donald Trump fan. When I go the polls this November, I will be voting for Hillary Clinton.

But unlike many pundits and average citizens , I have made my decision based on actually knowing Trump. I worked for him for three years in Atlantic City. From 1987 to 1990, I was senior executive at the Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino. The last half of my time with Donald, I was the president and chief operating officer of the business. . . .

I am horrified at the prospect of a Trump presidency. I know first-hand that he lacks the intelligence, nor does he have the attention span to process the complexities of running our great country. The vision of him sitting in the War Room during a national crisis should frighten every American. Sitting with the Joint Chiefs, secretary of defense, secretary of state and others, he would be forced to do something he is not capable of doing: listening to others.

————————-End Jack O’Donnell quote——————