COURTESY OF POLYVINYL RECORDS

The Sun’s September Concerts Preview

G-Nome Project
Wednesday September 7, 9 p.m.
at the Haunt
When was the last time you went to a concert that was billed as “Israeli Livetronica?” Probably never, I’d assume. Or at least in a really, really long time. Well, if you’re interested in changing that, you should check out the music of G-Nome Project, Israel’s premier electronic band. They’ve been filling bills in their home city of Jerusalem and building a name for themselves as one of Isreal’s hottest live music acts. But don’t assume that you’ll be out of place at their show at the Haunt even if you’ve never heard of a single band from Israel: G-Nome wants you to be rest assured that fans from any anywhere and any background will be at home among the good vibes and hardcore dance moves at any one of their concerts.

pig destroyer

COURTESY OF PIG DESTROYER

Pig Destroyer, Secret Cutter, Bleak, Human Overdose, Escuela
Saturday September 10, 7:30 p.m.
at the Haunt
For almost 20 years, Pig Destroyer has been one of the United States’ premier grindcore acts. When it comes to their concert at the Haunt on September 10, you can go to be shocked. You can go to bang your head. You can go to be disgusted. You can go to be rocked. You can go ironically. You can go wholeheartedly. You can go to let the blood rush to your head. You can go and forget about hearing anything for the next few days. The moral of the story is, you should go to this show. Especially considering the opening lineup — Pennsylvania grindcore three-piece Secret Cutter, Syracuse death-sludge rockers Bleak, Binghamton hardcore noise-makers Human Overdose and Ithaca’s own deathly Escuela — this is a metal show you won’t want to miss. After the concert, you’ll surely be a number of things, but disappointed will not be one of them.

of Montreal
Wednesday September 14, 8 p.m.
at the Haunt
Perhaps the longest lasting of the Elephant 6 bands, of Montreal will be gracing the stage of the Haunt for their second consecutive year. If last time around was any indication of how their upcoming performance will be, get prepared for a rollicking array of the best 60s music you’ve ever heard from a band formed in the 90s. But that won’t just be all: especially since fellow Athens, Georgia native Ruby the RabbitFoot will be opening up, expect gobs and gobs of synthpop, dance-rock, party music and experimental flourishes. I’d wear something colorful, if I were you.

graham nash

COURTESY OF GRAHAM NASH

Graham Nash
Sunday September 25, 8 p.m.
at the State Theatre
Writing about aging musicians far too often falls into one of two equally unoriginal crevices: ‘Look at that, they’re still putting out great music even at that age,’ or ‘They used to really have it when they were younger, so let’s all go pity-watch ‘em now.’ So let’s just think of Graham Nash from 2016 on. Nash himself is unwaveringly writing off part of his musical history, telling Billboard, “In my world, there will never, ever be a Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young record and there will never be another Crosby, Stills and Nash record or show.” In mid-April Nash released his sixth studio album — This Path Tonight — a mellow collection of beautiful, understated tunes that was received with praiseful, but only mildly enthusiastic reviews. Nash is now touring across the American North in September and early October, stopping off at The State on September 25. Go catch him to see a rock legend in the flesh, or maybe just to see a cool dude still putting out great albums.

Diet Cig, Free Cake for Every Creature, Imperials
Wednesday September 28, 7 p.m.
at the Chanticleer Loft
Stacked show alert! Just $8 grants you a sick night featuring three energetic indie projects, continuing a trend of bang-for-your-buck shows throughout the fall. Diet Cig, an off-the-walls loud duo comprised of Alex Luciano and Noah Bowman, are stopping off in the midst of a tour spanning the US and Canada. The duo released an EP in February of 2015 — Over Easy — dissing and delineating scene angst and shitty friends, and followed it up with two singles — “Sleep Talk” and “Dinner Date.” If Diet Cig brings their raw energy to the Chanti Loft, it’s going to be a wild night. Free Cake for Every Creature, a.k.a. Philadelphian Katie Bennett and co., will be touring with Diet Cig for a strand of dates in late September. Free Cake For Every Creature brought their simple, beautiful songs to Cayuga Lodge in May as part of a show with fellow Philadelphians Hello Shark and Ithaca projects _____ and Benjaminito just a month after releasing their latest LP Talking Quietly of Anything With You. Ithaca indie rockers Imperials round out the bill, bringing their signature, bombastic mix of brass, accordion, emo influences and enthusiasm.

Lake Street Dive
Friday September 30, 8 p.m.
at the State
This end of September bill brings together two groups at greatly different places in their careers. Lake Street Drive released their debut LP — In this episode — a decade ago while New England Conservatory of Music students. During the ensuing years, the quarter honed their eclectic mix of soul, motown and roots rock influences, releasing their latest EP — Side Pony — last February. Queer punk duo PWR BTTM, while relative newcomers, are already amassing a dedicated following and putting on blow-out live shows. After releasing a number of EPs and splits as undergraduates at Bard College, guitarist/singer Ben Hopkins and drummer/singer Liv Bruce released Ugly Cherries to wide acclaim last year. The group toured with Pity Sex and Petal throughout the Spring and Summer, and are gearing up for both a new LP and a US and Europe tour in the fall. PWR BTTM played to a hyped, intimate crowd at Cayuga Lodge last year and the dynamic duo will hopefully bring the same effusive, enthralling energy to the State.