Courtesy MARCA

Bruno Hortelano-Roig '14 suffered head and serious hand injuries in a car crash Monday morning.

Olympic Sprinter Bruno Hortelano-Roig ’14 Hospitalized in Reported Drunk Driving Crash

This post has been updated.

Fresh off an impressive showing in the 2016 Rio Olympics, Spanish sprinter Bruno Hortelano-Roig ’14 has been hospitalized after he was in an alcohol-related car crash just outside of Madrid early Monday morning, suffering a “catastrophic hand injury” to his right hand.

Hortelano-Roig was travelling with his cousin who driving under the influence — at more than twice the legal alcohol limit at the time of the crash. According to AS English, his cousin had an alcohol level of 0.53 milligrams per liter; the legal limit is 0.25.

Hortelano-Roig was a passenger when the car flipped over onto its top. He suffered a serious injury to his right hand, according to his agent Alberto Armas. He was then admitted to the 12 de Octubre Hospital in Madrid where he has been treated for hand and head injuries.

Translation: Bruno Hortelano suffered a car accident in the middle of the night in Madrid. He is being operated for injuries in his right hand.

“The hand was the most affected area and it has been reconstructed,” Armas told reporters. “The little finger is the only one that hasn’t been fully reconstructed. It’s too early to make a full evaluation but he is in good spirits. The important thing now is that his hand does not get infected.”

Although it was also reported that there were “catastrophic hand injuries with a risk of amputation,” at this moment, Hortelano-Roig is reportedly in “good spirits” and doing well after reconstructive surgery.

Translation: The good news continues. @BrunoHortelano is already on the ground and resting. He remains stable. Thanks a lot!

Hortelano-Roig reached the semifinals in this year’s Olympics, but was just edged out of a spot in the finals, despite running a personal best time in the qualifiers.

According to his agent, Hortelanto-Roig plans to be transferred to a recovery center in Barcelona to continue treatment for his hand injury.

Translation: After the first surgery performed on Bruno Hortelano on September 5th, and given its slow but very promising evolution, both the medical team of the 12 de Octubre Hospital of Madrid and the athlete’s family agree to transfer him in the next few days to the Dexus Quiron clinic in Barcelona, where the prestigious Dr. Xavier Mir will be in charge of future care.

Bruno and his family are very grateful to the 12 de Octubre Hospital for their work and their treatment and are moved by the many expressions of support from friends and fans.

Everyone expects that this new destination will lead a speedy recovery.