The Cayuga's Waiters perform at Statler Hall in fall 2014.

Stephanie Yan / Sun Assistant News Editor

Cayuga’s Waiters Suspended for Code of Conduct Violations

The Cayuga’s Waiters, Cornell’s oldest all-male a cappella group, has been temporarily suspended as of Sept. 2, according to John Carberry, senior director of media relations.

The group was informed of its suspension on Sept. 2. Seven members of the Waiters were subsequently contacted by the Office of the Judicial Administrator on the morning of Sept. 14 about “multiple possible violations of the Campus Code of Conduct related to their involvement with the Cayuga’s Waiters,” Carberry said.

No individual student has been suspended at this time, but the a capella group has been temporarily suspended as an organization “pending the completion of investigation and disciplinary process,” according to Carberry.

Founded in 1949, Cayuga’s Waiters are “one of the University’s oldest traditions,” according to the group’s organization profile. The Waiters are known for their satirical song, “We Didn’t Go To Harvard,” and have performed at the White House, the Palace of Westminster and the rink of the L.A. Kings.

The Waiters did not respond to requests for comment.

3 thoughts on “Cayuga’s Waiters Suspended for Code of Conduct Violations

1. As a long and loyal Cornell Alum (’60) and Cayuga Waiter, I’m distressed by the news of the Waiters’
    suspension. May the investigation of hazing and the assignment of responsibility be quick and thorough
    and fair. I surely hope that the Waiters not be punished for the acts of individuals. As a former Associate
    Dean of Students (Lehigh) responsible for disciplinary hearings, I understand the complexity of what has to
    be sorted out. Obviously, a group as venerable (since (1949) and revered, and talented, as Cayuga’s Waiters
    is now, and has been, a campus treasure. Obviously, such a group, nor any group, is above the rules that
    govern campus behavior. Assign responsibility and consequences justly and carefully, Cornell!

2. Goodness gracious, I thought Cornell had outlawed auditions as hazing years ago. No one should have to sing all by himself to get into a singing group. As someone who didn’t make the cut twice, I was traumatized by the experience.