From Nov. 1 to Nov. 5, Cornell will celebrate the opening of the University Library's punk collection.

Dan Salisbury / Sun File Photo

Pussy Riot, John Doe Will Visit Cornell to Celebrate Opening of Punk Collections

JOHN DOE

JOHN DOE

Four generations of punk icons will perform and speak at Cornell in the first week of November, celebrating the opening of the University Library’s punk collections.

Russian feminist groups Pussy Riot — whose members were imprisoned for two years on charges of hooliganism — punk singer John Doe and Japanese band Shonen Knife all plan to attend Punkfest Cornell, which will last from Nov. 1 to Nov. 5.

The event also coincides with the 40th anniversary of punk, which is said to have begun in 1976 with the release of albums like the Ramones’ Ramones and the Patti Smith Group’s Radio Ethiopia, the University said.

PUSSY RIOT

PUSSY RIOT

“It’s an ideal moment to examine punk’s historical and ongoing influence,” said Prof. Judith Peraino, music, who is one of the event’s organizers.

Cornell’s punk collections, comprising rare posters, recordings and photographs, were donated to the University in 2012, according to the release.

“[Cornell’s collections] show how musical subcultures emerge from the underground, challenge the status quo, spread, and become globally influential,” said Katherine Reagan, the library’s curator of rare books and manuscripts, in the release. “We are excited to open our punk collections to a wider audience for the first time.”

SHOREN KNIFE

SHOREN KNIFE

An “Anarchy in the Archives” exhibit will also open during PunkFest and celebrate the culture’s history of musical activism and social change, the University said.