Anabel's Grocery will be opening its store in the convenient location of Anabel Taylor Hall next semester.

Linbo Fan / Sun Staff Photographer

Scientists Raise Concern Over United States’ Position on GMOs

Two scientists raised concerns about the United States’ regulation of genetically modified organisms at Anabel Taylor Hall Wednesday.

GMOs have garnered increased attention recently, with the public split over whether they represent a dangerous abuse of science by corporations or a promising way to improve food production.

Jonathan Latham, executive director of The Bioscience Resource Project, said the United States’ official position around GMOs has been “horribly exposed” by recent scientific research and that the tensions “were never resolved.”

“There was obviously a lot of political pressure and economic pressure to just sweep things under the carpet,” he said.

Michael Hansen, a senior scientist for the Consumer’s Union, said he has been working on GMO issues at the state, national and international level for over 30 years. He pointed to past environmental disasters as evidence of the need for stronger regulation of GMOs.

“Most of the environmental movements of the 20th century have basically been people cleaning up disasters after the fact,” Hansen explained. “With pesticides and all these things that were initially considered perfectly safe, we only find out years later that they’re contaminating the environment and causing all these problems. We wanted to make sure that biotechnology was regulated properly.”

Hansen also discussed the United States’ refusal to “play the rules of the game” when it comes to safety standards for its genetically engineered crops.

“There is global agreement on required safety assessments [for food that is derived from genetically modified organisms] and yet the United States does not do them,” he said. “So we are actually on the outside of the global scientific standard.”

Robert Schooler ’18, the event moderator, said he originally intended the event to be a pro-GMO versus anti-GMO debate, but was disappointed when no one he originally reached out to accepted his invitation.

“We tried to get anyone to come out and debate, any scientists from the Alliance for Science to defend their claims that they made in the GMO debate course last semester,” Schooler said. “As far as the scientists and professors in the course that inspired me to write my article and do this project, I got zero responses from any of them.”

The Food Insecurity Roundtable is a weekly lecture series hosted by Anabel’s Grocery. The next lecture is scheduled for Nov. 2, which will feature nutritional biochemist T. Colin Campbell.

3 thoughts on “Scientists Raise Concern Over United States’ Position on GMOs

1. Unfortunately the author of this piece missed a lot.

173 New York residents show support for Cornell’s Alliance For Science http://welovegv.com/173-new-york-residents-show-support-for-cornells-alliance-for-science/

Michael Hansen http://welovegv.com/consumers-union-collaborates-with-anti-vaxxers-and-the-organic-industry/ collaborates with anti-vaxxers and the organic industry

Fake Debates, Bogus Tribunals– Hallmarks of a Lost Argument http://kfolta.blogspot.com/2016/10/fake-debates-bogus-tribunals-hallmarks.html

2. Apparently the invitations to other scientists were issued last week through the medium of comments on old blog posts.
    This is an important conversation. Latham needs to step up his game if he is to be taken seriously.

3. The delay in introducing Golden Rice, a tested GMO developed by a non-profit consortium, has cost 2 million lives and 250,000 cases of blindness per year since 2000. Erring on the side of caution has cost people dearly, if not the lives of those urging it. To them, caution is free. To Philippinoes and Indians it is anything but.

The harm done to humanity by Greenpeace and similar groups on this issue is as grievous as that done by the Khmer Rouge and Boko Haram. Greenpeace should face the same justice that was visited upon the latter.