image

Courtesy of David Outlaw '17

Theta Delta Chi Fraternity Lights House Green to Support Veterans

Cornell’s Theta Delta Chi fraternity will light its house green tonight to show support for veterans, in response to a letter to the editor by Cornell Undergraduate Veterans Association President David Outlaw ’17, published in The Sun Wednesday.

Outlaw said he recently requested that the clock tower be lit green on Veterans Day as part of the Greenlight A Vet campaign, but said the University denied his request for the second year in a row. The campaign aims to “create a visible national support for our veterans by changing one light to green,” he explained.

“Green is the color of hope, renewal and well-being,” he wrote in his letter. “‘Greenlight’ is also a term commonly used to activate forward movement. The simple action of changing one light to green will spark a national conversation regarding the treatment and recognition of veterans and ‘green light’ them forward as valued members of our communities.”

President of Theta Delta Chi Mohammad Imtisal Qadir ’18 said the idea to light the fraternity house green was inspired by CUVA’s participation in the Greenlight a Vet campaign.

“Outlaw’s recent letter to the editor about Cornell’s refusal to light the clock tower green was the catalyst that pushed our fraternity to make the collective choice to light our house green,” he said.

Qadir said he hopes that lighting the house green will “push others in the Cornell community” to “engage in conversations about veterans and their vital contributions to our communities.”

“Veterans are often stigmatized in American society, and they face significant hurdles when returning home from service,” he said. “As a brotherhood, we have engaged in conversations about veterans and their vital contributions to our communities.”

President of the Interfraternity Council Blake Brown ’17 said the Cornell community actively celebrates “students of diverse backgrounds, experiences and talents” but often overlooks “the stories and experiences of veterans on the Hill.”

“I can imagine that for many veterans, adjusting to University life can be challenging, and it goes without saying that their immense sacrifices deserve our recognition and respect,” he said. “I’m proud that groups like Theta Delta Chi are taking a lead in honoring our veterans, and I hope that their action inspires community-wide recognition and administrative support.”

8 thoughts on “Theta Delta Chi Fraternity Lights House Green to Support Veterans

1. How the hell is turning on a bunch of green lights supposed to help anything? People really need to stop pretending that spreading “awareness” is a legitimate means of helping a cause. As if a random person walking by would even look at that and say to themselves “damn, look at those green lights. I really should do more to “support” our veterans. Whatever the hell “supporting” them is supposed to amount to”.

• Ad hominem, what a brilliant argument! I wholeheartedly support services to help veterans cope with PTSD, find jobs upon their return, and successfully reintegrate into society. But I vehemently oppose people perpetually trying to raise awareness for causes they hardly even understand and acting like they’re somehow morally superior while failing to actually take action to fix anything. At least “Get Over Yourselves” seems to give a damn about more than petty campus politics.

• The bigger question is why has Cornell been denying a simple request from CUVA to light the clock tower green? Don’t they do it anyways for St. Patrick’s day?

• How the hell is COMMENTING ON A CORNELL DAILY SUN ARTICLE about turning on a bunch of green lights supposed to help anything? People really need to stop pretending that COMMENTING ON A CORNELL DAILY SUN ARTICLE about spreading “awareness” is a legitimate means of helping a cause. As if a random person walking by would even look at that and say to themselves “damn, look at THIS COMMENT. I really should do more to “support” our veterans. Whatever the hell “supporting” them is supposed to amount to”.

2. Pingback: Supporting Veterans with a Green House – Fraternity Spark