Donald Trump takes the stage in Syracuse on Apr. 16.

Cameron Pollack / Sun Photography Editor

Cornell Professors Struggle to Explain ‘No Less Than Stunning’ Election

As the reality of Donald Trump’s victory over Former Sec. of State Hillary Clinton sinks in, several Cornell professors suggested that Trump’s ability to harness Americans’ frustration with political gridlock and economic stagnancy could have propelled him to the presidency.

Prof. Tom Pepinsky, government, emphasized how surprised he was by the election results, calling them “no less than stunning,” given that the media and pollsters had given Clinton a small but durable lead.

“Yet Trump won handily in the electoral college, as did GOP in nearly all national and state offices,” he said. “The meaning of these results will be debated for years to come, but initial analyses by political scientists reveal a deeply polarized America along urban-rural, class and racial lines.”

Prof. Keith Weller Taylor, Asian studies, agreed with Pepinsky on the unprecedented nature of this election, adding that Trump’s victory reveals the depth of frustration among American voters with both a government and economic structure that favors the wealthy and makes life more challenging for middle class families.

“The presidential election result shows that a great number of American voters have become weary of the political deadlock that has developed at the federal level and of the politically correct teacherly attitude that has become fashionable among many politicians and government administrators; they have voted for change,” he said.

Prof. Louis Hyman, Industrial and Labor Relations said Trump’s popular appeal reveals the depths of many Americans’ disenchantment with the established order.

“Trump articulated class rage against the winners and losers in our globalized, urban, tech economy,” he said. “In every state that benefitted from this kind of capitalism, he lost. But most of the country, and especially rural america, has not benefitted from this new economy. They have been left behind.”

However, Prof. Emeritus Isaac Kramnick, government, attributed Trump’s win to his ability to influence conservative narratives, especially using the Republican media.

“Nourished in its identity and solidarity by the safe places provided by conservative talk radio, Fox news, right-wing web sites and Trump’s rallies, populist anger — always there in American life — found the perfect candidate this time,” Kramnick said.

Kramnick added that Trump, who he called “a recently re-branded good old boy, with locker room authenticity and honesty,” was able to command a direct a mass of populist sentiment.

“Trump channeled the populist sense of a conspiracy — a conspiracy of intellectuals, meritocrats and politically correct policy experts — whose allies in the media and college campuses, were much less concerned with the difficulties in ordinary people’s lives than with — as they see it — pushing gay marriage, promiscuous sex, abortion, as well as racial and gender equality,” he said.

Prof. Aaron Sachs, history, adopted a slightly more optimistic outlook, stressing that the historic fight for justice among activists will continue after this election.

He quoted Albert Camus, citing character Sisyphus’ “endless rock-pushing,” as a representation the “work of rebellion that all people of good faith must do.”

“Sometimes, life is about pushing the boulder up the hill over and over,” he said. “Early this morning, the boulder rolled all the way back down to the valley floor. I am radically demoralized. But it’s time to start pushing again.”

6 thoughts on “Cornell Professors Struggle to Explain ‘No Less Than Stunning’ Election

1. Maybe we should try to hire professors and admit students for diversity of views instead of just diversity of race, gender, orientation, etc.

2. I’m thankful for Professor Sachs reference to Camus. Here’s the relevant passage from Camus’ essay:
    If the descent is thus sometimes performed in sorrow, it can also take place in joy. This word is not too much. Again I fancy Sisyphus returning toward his rock, and the sorrow was in the beginning. When the images of earth cling too tightly to memory, when the call of happiness becomes too insistent, it happens that melancholy rises in man’s heart: this is the rock’s victory, this is the rock itself. The boundless grief is too heavy to bear. These are our nights of Gethsemane. But crushing truths perish from being acknowledged…

I leave Sisyphus at the foot of the mountain! One always finds one’s burden again. But Sisyphus teaches the higher fidelity that negates the gods and raises rocks. He too concludes that all is well. This universe henceforth without a master seems to him neither sterile nor futile. Each atom of that stone, each mineral flake of that night-filled mountain, in itself forms a world. The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man’s heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

3. In 2008 my friends and I fought hard to make Hillary Clinton America ‘s first female president. But the Cornell Sun fought us. It urged people to vote for a black man, rather than a white woman.

This time we voted for Donald Trump.

4. If this election should teach anything to the Left, it is the important of decentralizing power and bringing back the prominence of the states in governance.

But the Left WON’T learn the lesson, and will instead focus on gaining back that dangerous, centralized power in Washington, DC.

The stupidity will continue. There’s more in store unless corrective action is taken and decentralization begins.

5. Look at this nonsense:

| Prof. Aaron Sachs, history, adopted a slightly more optimistic outlook, stressing that the historic fight for justice
    | among activists will continue after this election.
    |
    | He quoted Albert Camus, citing character Sisyphus’ “endless rock-pushing,” as a representation the “work of
    | rebellion that all people of good faith must do.”

Prof. Sachs, the rock is not being pushed up some hill, it is being pushed against people who are backed into a corner. The people are pushing back, hard.

Get out of your ivory tower sometime and go explore the world outside the 10-square mile bubble called Ithaca.