Against Brown, secondary scoring powered Cornell to a win, but sophomore forward Mitch Vanderlaan's hat trick sealed the deal against Yale.

Adrian Boteanu / Sun Staff Photographer

Two-Headed Scoring Attack Powers Cornell Men’s Hockey to Weekend Sweep

For an extensive play-by-play with highlights of the game against Yale, see our live blog here.

Before the first puck drop of the season against Merrimack, head coach Mike Schafer ’86 laid out a firm goal for his offense: more secondary scoring.

Just under half of the team’s scoring last season was contained to four forwards, which is not a bad thing as long as the wins are flowing. But towards the end of the season, a hole within the forward lines led the team into a long winless skid.

So far this season, the team has its usual suspects scoring — sophomore forwards Mitch Vanderlaan and Anthony Angello sit among the top goal scorers — but the forwards beyond the first line were the difference makers against Brown.

The four scorers during Friday’s convincing 4-2 win over Brown had only five combined goals in their careers entering the night. That number became nine by the time the final buzzer rang.

“We are getting offensive contributions from a bunch of people and we need that to continue,” Schafer said.

On the other hand, the 6-3 win over Yale on Saturday came from the Red’s regular goal scorers. The win was powered by Vanderlaan’s first career hat trick, the first for Cornell since former Red center Tyler Roeszler ’11 notched one against Colgate in 2011.

“It’s been a while, so I’ve heard,” Vanderlaan said. “It was fun, a good team effort tonight. Big win for us, so excited to keep moving forward with it.”

While the team is happy to see some of its leading scorers finding the scoresheet on a consistent basis, the emergence of scoring depth has made Cornell’s offense a two-headed threat in just five games.

Sophomore forward Beau Starrett and junior forward Alex Rauter have already surpassed last year’s individual goal totals in just five games, although Starrett was sidelined for a majority of last year’s campaign. Rauter’s linemate, junior Trevor Yates, has already scored a third of the goals he scored last year with goals at Harvard and Yale this season.

“We need all four lines rolling,” Starrett said. “I think that’s going to take us far this year — if we can have all 12 forwards, all six defensemen contributing in the goals column. [Senior goalie] Mitch [Gillam] will stop the pucks, so if we can keep the goals in the other team’s net then it will take us a long ways this year.”

Filling the wishes of head coach Mike Schafer '86, sophomore forward Beau Starrett has kick-started Cornell's secondary scoring with three points already this season.

Adrian Boteanu / Sun Staff Photographer

Filling the wishes of head coach Mike Schafer ’86, sophomore forward Beau Starrett has kick-started Cornell’s secondary scoring with three points already this season, along with the goal pictured above.

It was also a tale of two games this weekend in terms of special teams play. Against Brown, Cornell was handed eight power plays — four in the first period — but came up empty-handed on every man-advantage opportunity.

Against Yale, Cornell’s fate was on the opposite end of the scoresheet. Nine penalties were committed by the men in Red, which was something Schafer was wary about against Yale’s potent power play prowess.

Schafer called Yale’s power play unit “dangerous,” especially with the ever-looming threat of Yale’s captain and Chicago Blackhawks prospect John Hayden, who scored twice on Saturday.

Coming into Saturday, the Bulldogs managed to score on a quarter of power play opportunities and were granted nine chances against the Red. Thankfully for Schafer’s squad, the penalty kill unit came up huge and killed eight of nine power plays, helped in part to an astounding 28 blocked shots.

“As a group we really committed to blocking shots tonight,” Vanderlaan said following Yale. “I know I have to do it just like everybody else has to get down and do it as well. You have to be proud of both sides of the puck today.”

The two wins come at a huge time for the Red, both physically and mentally. Dropping both these games would have meant a winless road trip to the travel-heavy start of the season.

Especially considering the injuries, Schafer said he was proud of his team’s performance this past weekend.

“It was huge, huge for us to get those wins,” he said. “We haven’t played a home game yet this year — five straight road games [to open the season] for the first time in history. [Going] 2-2-1 — .500 on the road — with all the injuries we’ve had is quite an accomplishment.”

Now when the team takes the ice to prepare for the upcoming weekend’s slate of games, there will be one key difference: Lynah Rink.

With roughly 1,800 miles traveled now in the rearview, the men of Cornell hockey will finally get a chance to play at home in front of the Lynah Faithful. Despite a strong showing of Cornell support on the road, it will be a welcome break to make the short walk over to Lynah instead of Hanover, Providence or North Andover.

“We’ve been on the bus a lot,” Schafer joked. “We’re excited to play in front of our Lynah Faithful fans and we’re all fired up for Friday night.”

5 thoughts on “Two-Headed Scoring Attack Powers Cornell Men’s Hockey to Weekend Sweep

1. This article is a steaming pile of shit; so many typos, so many quotations from other sources. It is apparent that you have watched none of the games this season.

As an alumna of the College of Arts and Sciences, you are an embarrassment. Up your game or cease writing entirely.

2. Your comment is rude. This article directly quotes Schafer and Vanderlaan, which are not from “other sources.” And while there a few typos, this article’s writing is strong and does a good job of capturing the team’s strategy and plays in the two games. I think it is rather obvious that this writer has watched many (if not all) of the games of this season.

Rather than insulting a writer (who is a student who does this work for free), it would be more constructive to point out the article’s weaknesses and typos, so that the writer can improve. Your comment is destructive and does nothing except discourage a budding writer. I am personally ashamed that a Cornell alumna’s gut reaction to this story is to tear it down, rather than to offer constructive criticism. The next time you think about telling someone that they should “cease writing entirely,” maybe take a second to think about what your words mean and who you are saying it to.

• I agree with anonymous. Disappointed Alumna was very rude. Not a good way to speak to a college kid… especially from an alumna! Grow up.

• This “college kid” is a grown adult. Frankly, babying someone who is able to vote, serve his country, or get married without any input from mom and dad will not help him to become a better person. Was I curt? Certainly. But if we accept mediocrity in published works from students now, what do we tell them is okay when they leave the sheltered walls of the University?

• My comment was made after reading articles from this writer for three weeks and hoping that there would be improvement. Yes, these quotations are from Schafer and Vanderlaan, but they come from other articles published prior to this one:

http://cornellbigred.com/news/2016/11/12/mens-ice-hockey-vanderlaans-hat-trick-leads-mens-hockeys-past-yale-6-3.aspx

http://cornellbigred.com/news/2016/11/11/mens-ice-hockey-dominant-second-period-powers-mens-hockey-past-brown-4-2.aspx

As someone who has read all of the articles from this season and either been at or watched all of the games, it is apparent that this writer has not. Last week, he said that Cornell had to come from behind to tie Dartmouth when in fact Cornell scored first and it was a late Dartmouth goal that tied the game. Strong does not describe the writing and I do not think that strategy or plays are explained in this article at all.

I am well aware of how writing at the Sun and being a student at the University goes. I am not expecting perfection. The Daily Sun decided to stop being a print Daily this year in order to get out more timely content. I was impressed with that move. I expect that students have more to do than simply write for the Sun. However, when this article is written late on a Sunday with obvious typographical mistakes, one wonders if the writer even knows how to spell check. I appreciate that the writer took the time to correct the sentence that previously read: Despite a strong showing of Cornell support on the road, it will be a welcome break to make the short walk over tp Lynah instead of Hanover, Providence or North Andover.

However, when issues remain such as stating that the Yale game was played on a Sunday, I lack compassion.

As someone who graduated from Cornell, constructive criticism is not telling someone simple things that should have been learned prior to entering the University such as “proof read your work.” Here is a piece of constructive criticism: be consistent in your writing. If you use the Oxford comma, use it throughout not intermittently. Ensure that you consistently hyphenate.

My comment is destructive? No, my comment is intended to propel this person to be a better Cornellian. I am incredibly proud of my school and when I see that this is what is put out on the biggest sports beat at my school, I am embarrassed. If this person wants to be better, he will take my criticisms in stride and in fact become a better writer. Gather your own quotations. Watch games before writing on them. I am well aware of what my words mean and to whom I am addressing them. This writer is a Cornellian in the College of Arts and Sciences. With that privilege comes the responsibility that everything that you say will bear the imprimatur of the University.

So, here is my direct message to the author: Expect more from yourself. Do better.