Adian Boteanu | Sun Staff Photographer

The Dutchmen of Union remain at the top of the ECAC, with their lead down to two points.

Around the ECAC: Clarkson, St. Lawrence Battle Union at Top of Standings

In a week that saw Cornell men’s hockey take home sweeps of two Ivy League rivals, other teams around the ECAC had quite eventful weekends. Starting at the top of the standings, Union remains in first place, although the Dutchmen’s lead has dwindled down to two points.

Union took on both St. Lawrence and Clarkson this weekend, the second and third place teams in the ECAC, respectively. The Saints established an early lead against the Dutchmen, notching two goals before the first intermission, but Union’s high-powered offense was able mount a comeback and end the game in a tie.

However, Clarkson dug Union into too deep a hole to climb out of. Three unanswered goals by the Knights were met by an early third period power goal to cut Union’s deficit to two, but this was all the offense the Dutchmen could muster as they ultimately fell, 3-1.

RPI — who currently sits at a negative eight goal differential — dropped both of its games this weekend against St. Lawrence and Clarkson, totaling three goals in the two games and allowing eight.

Princeton played host to two different Ivy rivals this weekend, Harvard and Dartmouth. The Tigers entered the weekend in last place and winless, and exit the weekend in the same position. Harvard easily handled Princeton, 5-2, with goals comes from five different players.

Against Dartmouth, Princeton was able to muster a tie against the Green, thanks to a third period goal from Eric Robinson. The tie handed Princeton its only points of the season thus far.

Dartmouth and Harvard both traveled to Quinnipiac as well, where the then-nationally ranked No. 7 Bobcats — now No. 4 this week — amassed 10 total goals to take down its Ivy opponents. Landon Smith had two goals in the win over Dartmouth, while four different Bobcats scored to take down a Crimson team that had not lost at the time.

Colgate’s schedule this weekend was a mirror opposite to that of Cornell, traveling to take on Yale then Brown. Colgate handled Yale by a score of 4-1, but was not able to defeat the lower ranked team of Brown the next night, falling 4-1 in Providence. The win was Brown’s first of the season.

Colgate’s two games were completely opposite from one another. During Friday’s contest against Yale, the Raiders went up ahead early, then ran away with the game in the second and third period against Brown. However, the Bears’ four-unanswered goals proved too much to Colgate to surmount.

Through two weeks of play — three for Union and RPI — the Dutchmen retain their status atop the ECAC nine points, coming from four wins in six games played. The Saints, however, are breathing down Union’s neck with a win over the Dutchmen and a higher overall win percentage.