Dana Daniels | Sun Staff Photographer

The Red's offense carried the team throughout the season; the team out-performed its opponents in both shots-on goal percentage and shots per game.

Field Hockey Finishes Fourth Consecutive Season With Top-Three League Finish

The Cornell field hockey team ended the 2016 season with its fourth consecutive top-three finish in the league.

The Red (10-7, 4-3) finished its fourth straight season with double digit wins. “I think our team is content with the season,” said junior co-captain Sam McILWrick. Senior co-captain Sam Weeks agreed.

“It was not our most winning season during my four years, but I think the team experienced a culture change and growth that will definitely show in the seasons to come,” he said.

The women out-shot their opponents in both shots and shots on goal. They averaged 14.7 shots per game with a shots-on-goal percentage of 0.564; their opponents averaged 11.1 shots per game with a shots-on-goal percentage of 0.545.

It was easy to have faith and trust in all players on the field at any given time, according to Weeks. Throughout the season, 14 out of the 15 players on the roster scored at least one point for the Red.

“Our freshman immediately stepped up,” McILwirck said. “Many [already have] starting positions, and [the] upperclassmen worked really hard to integrate [the freshman].”

The season ended strongly for the Red, and the Ivy League conference took note.

Junior co-captain Sam McILWrick took home first-team honors, and junior forward Kyrten Meyers was named to the second team.

Weeks was also recognized, as he was named all-Ivy for the fourth time in her career. She is the seventh Cornell field hockey player to be named All-Ivy four times. Weeks started all 67 games of her career. In addition, she was named Ivy League player of the week after the Red’s win over Dartmouth.

While reflecting on the season, both Weeks and McILWrick agreed the top moment for the women was in their game against Princeton on Oct. 29.

“It was the first time in my four years that we were able to beat Princeton,” Weeks said. “I am especially proud because not many Cornell field hockey teams have been able to do that in the past, so I feel like we were able to make a lasting impression on the program.”

The women came out victorious, 3-2, in double overtime. The three graduating seniors — midfielder Katy Week, midfielder Elizabeth Horak, and back Luisa Schulte-Bockum — made a significant contribution to the program during their time with the Red.

“Our seniors have put in so much time and effort into showing us what it is like and what is expected to be a member of Cornell field hockey,” McILWrick said. “[The team] is so proud of [them].”

The class of 2017 had a total of 42 wins throughout its four years, which ties the class of 2011 for the most winningest in program history.

“I am so proud,” Weeks said, of this record.

Looking forward, the Red hopes to maintain the momentum it has established at the end of its season and continue to grow as a program.

“Coming off our final four games, we are left hungry for the next season,” McILWrick said.