International students voice the issues they face as graduate students at an event hosted by CGSU.

Lily Croskey-Englert / Sun Staff Photographer

‘This Union is Us’: International Graduate Students Share Struggles at CGSU Event

As graduate students grow closer to filing for a vote, international graduate students work to maintain their voice in the fight for unionization, sharing the struggles they face while studying in the United States at a panel hosted by Cornell Graduate Students United.

With international students making up almost half the entire population of graduate students, ensuring the union is representative of all students is of particular importance for Sebastian Sclofsky, organizing chair of Graduate Assistants United at the University of Florida.

“We organize it. We make the decisions. We make a lot of mistakes but it’s our mistakes. The union belongs to us,” Sclofsky said.

Nomfundo Makhubo, organizer of the event, also stressed the importance of keeping a seat for international students in the conversation as CGSU strives to cham­pion respect, fair­ness and democracy.

“We are trying to fight for an international-student-sensitive work environment,” she said. “I think this is an important time for international students and grad students in general to stand up and make themselves count­ed and make themselves heard and to use this as a vehicle to achieve the things that they deserve and the things that they really want.”

Students also raised issues regarding President Donald Trump’s recent changes and cap for H1-B visas, which allow U.S. businesses to recruit foreign employees in speciality occupations for a limited time.

“It is frustrating that there is a 65,000 cap because that’s not a lot of people. That’s basically all the people who were at the Super Bowl and it’s a very small number,” said Brendan O’Brien, director of the International Students and Scholars Office,.

Concerning the issue of maintaining legal status, O’Brien advised international students to “be a registered full time student, keep immigration documents up to date, seek authorization before accepting employment, not be arrested or convicted of a crime and to check with the ISSO if there are any questions or concerns.”

Sclofsky highlighted the differences in legal actions and healthcare for international students.

“We don’t have the legal protections that Americans have. We don’t have the benefits. I don’t qualify for the Affordable Care Act. I don’t qualify for federal loans,” Sclofsky said.

Asli Menevse grad shared her experience as a student filing an evaluation that was “systematically attacking my abilities as an instructor because I sound foreign.”

“At that moment, I realized that it doesn’t matter where you’re coming from or how hard you try, you might be undermined just because of who you are,” Menevse said.

However, O’Brien reinforced the important role international graduate students fill on Cornell’s campus.

“It’s been a difficult time for all international students, particularly for the students from the seven affected countries due to the executive order,” O’Brien said. “I would like to say, from the bottom my heart, how happy we are to have international students here at Cornell. You make Cornell a very special place.”

One thought on “‘This Union is Us’: International Graduate Students Share Struggles at CGSU Event

1. Sadly, Trump’s contentious issue is yet one more that makes being an international student difficult, on top of our already complex culture and language. Assimilation assistance must come from numerous sources to aid these young people embarking on life’s journey. Most struggle in their efforts and need guidance from schools’ international departments, immigration protection, host families, concerned neighbors and fellow students, and even informative books to extend a cultural helping hand so we all have a win-win situation.
    One such new award-winning worldwide book/ebook that reaches out to help anyone coming to the US is “What Foreigners Need To Know About America From A To Z: How to Understand Crazy American Culture, People, Government, Business, Language and More.” It is used in foreign Fulbright student programs and endorsed worldwide by ambassadors, educators, and editors. It also identifies “foreigners” who became successful in the US and how they’ve contributed to our society, including students.
    A chapter on education explains how to be accepted to an American university and cope with a confusing new culture, friendship process and daunting classroom differences. Some stay after graduation. It has chapters that explain how US businesses operate and how to get a job (which differs from most countries), a must for those who want to work with/for an American firm here or overseas.
    It also has chapters that identify the most common English grammar and speech problems foreigners have and tips for easily overcoming them, the number one stumbling block they say they have to succeeding here.
    Good luck to all wherever you study or wherever you come from, because that is the TRUE spirit of the American PEOPLE, not a few in government who have the loudest voice!