chatty

Stephany Kim / Sun News Editor

New Collegetown Coffee Shop Aims to be ‘More Luxurious’ Than Competitors

Following the opening of Ithaca Wine & Spirits, a popular high-end liquor store that attracted many locals and Cornelians since last October, Collegetown is now welcoming a new amenity right in the heart of Eddy Street: Chatty Cathy Coffee & Juice Press.

Owner George Papachryssanthou — an Ithaca native and son of the owner of Souvlaki House in Collegetown — decided to return to his home street with new business ideas after living in New York City for over six years.

“Growing up in Eddy Street throughout my life, I saw a necessity for a good coffee shop on Eddy Street,” he said. “We wanted to continue bringing different style hospitality to Ithaca and Collegetown in general.”

After the success of the Ithaca Wine & Spirits, Papachryssanthou and his wife Milany Papachryssanthou ventured into opening an Italian-themed coffee shop on 327 Eddy Street, continuing to bring refined hospitality experience for those who live near Collegetown.

Papachryssanthou said that he planned to distinguish his coffee shop from the other businesses in Collegetown out of his “respect for the traditional, old-school Mediterranean coffee culture,” he said.

“You can taste the difference,” Papachryssanthou said. “Coffee culture in the Mediterranean is like a tenant of life — it is about the quality and care that goes into pressing a good coffee.”

In addition to using the high-end coffee press machine imported from Italy, Chatty Cathy uses beans and grounds from the Corso company, founded by School of Hotel Administration alumnus John Meadow ’02.

Papachryssanthou said Meadow used to live above Souvlaki House in Collegetown, Papachryssanthou’s family business, and recalled playing with Meadow as children.

The high-end service and quality of George and Milany’s business is already well known among many Cornellians, many of whom were impressed by their initial experiences with Ithaca Wine & Spirits and expect the same quality from the newly opened business.

“I am very glad that they are opening a gourmet cafe right where I walk everyday,” said Ethan Mandell ’19. “Their wine and spirits business was unparalleled in Collegetown, and I would not expect any less quality of products from Chatty Cathy.”

Some students are looking to Chatty Cathy as another place where they can socialize and study in a leisurely environment.

“Collegetown Bagels and Starbucks always seemed to be packed, and are often noisy with over-priced coffee,” said Neel Jain ’19. “I think Chatty Cathy would be a more luxurious alternative for people to work and socialize. Not to mention the better coffee.”

Due to rising rental rates in Collegetown, many businesses have moved out for Cornell’s housing development. But unlike some food and beverage business owners in Collegetown, Papachryssanthou expressed optimism for his business.

“Instead of corporate gentrification, I think my business brings in new construction, new ideas, but with the same old people,” Papachryssanthou said. “We are just locals who want to see Collegetown become more vibrant.”

10 thoughts on “New Collegetown Coffee Shop Aims to be ‘More Luxurious’ Than Competitors

1. 327 Eddy Street is the location of the related Ithaca Wine & Spirits. Might there be adjacent space available for the planned coffee shop? Where’s the editing and fact-checking? The story sounds like a press release for the new business.

2. If “Coffee culture in the Mediterranean is like a tenant of life — it is about the quality and care that goes into pressing a good coffee,” then why don’t you go back to Greece???

No one cares about having some hairy Greek man hand press a cup of coffee beans.

You know what else is a staple of Greek culture? Being invaded and having their genes f*cked out of existence by the Persians and North Africans.

So sad: Ancient Greek culture and genes were destroyed and now all they have left is coffee?? SAD!

3. We must help poor refugees!

And ..

I demand more luxurious coffee shops

= the mind of a spoiled Cornell brat

4. Centrifugal bumble-puppy made two inane comments, one of which hurt me deeply as a reasonably hairy Greek man. Even worse, Puppy had the chance, but missed it, to excoriate the editor for allowing “tenant” to pass without correcting it to “tenet.”

5. “I think Chatty Cathy would be a more luxurious alternative for people to work and socialize. Not to mention the better coffee.” THERE ARE LITERALLY THREE TABLES, like have you seen the storefront???

Why interview people that don’t know what they’re talking about and have very obviously never even passed in front of the store????