protest 1

Katherine Heaney / Sun Staff Writer

Planned Parenthood Patients, Supporters Protest Obamacare Replacement at Reed’s Office

Planned Parenthood supporters across the Southern Finger Lakes region assembled outside of Congressman Tom Reed’s (R–N.Y.) Ithaca office downtown and protested the proposed GOP replacement for the Affordable Care Act on Tuesday.

Monday night, the House Republicans released the American Health Care Act, a bill that would prevent people with Medicaid coverage from accessing preventive care from Planned Parenthood health centers among other measures that would dramatically alter the Affordable Care Act.

protest 2

Katherine Heaney / Sun Staff Writer

Planned Parenthood supporters assembled outside of Congressman Reed’s Ithaca office downtown and protested the proposed GOP replacement for the Affordable Care Act on Tuesday.

Nearly 10,000 people in the Southern Finger Lakes region rely on Planned Parenthood for services, its website said. Many of these patients may be left unprotected if the AHCA is passed.

“About 50 to 55 percent of our patients rely on Medicaid,” said Alicia Kenaley ’98, vice president of development and public affairs at Planned Parenthood of the Southern Finger Lakes. “If we were to lose federal funding for Medicaid it would be devastating for women who need these resources.”

Patti Jacobson ’76, an Ithaca resident and Cornell alumna, was one of the approximately 50 women and men protesting outside of Reed’s office.

“I’m here because I support Planned Parenthood and I’m very concerned about federal cuts,” Jacobson said. “Planned Parenthood would lose about half of their budget.”

Jacobson emphasized the necessity for affordable women’s health services. Though Jacobson herself does not receive services at Planned Parenthood, she said many community members that she cares about do.

“I was a volunteer [at Planned Parenthood] in the 70s when I was at Cornell,” Jacobson said. “Since then, I have been a patient and now a supporter.”

Several Cornell students were also present at the protest.

Sarah Murray ’19 called on Cornell students, even those not from Ithaca, to support the residents who rely on the Planned Parenthood services in the region.

“We can’t always be there in person for events like the march in Washington,” Murray said. “But we can be here. Even if Ithaca isn’t your hometown, it’s home for the next four years.”

Planned Parenthood supporters will also be protesting on Saturday, March 11 at Congressman Reed’s town halls. Supporters from the Southern Finger Lakes region will be attending at all four locations — Pulteney, Ovid, Manchester, N.Y. and Ithaca.

11 thoughts on “Planned Parenthood Patients, Supporters Protest Obamacare Replacement at Reed’s Office

• I have been a patient of planned parenthood since I was 14, and I have never had one abortion, or, one STD. They did however catch my atypical cells in my breast which resulted in early intervention. Keep trying to educate yourself! Empathy, it’ll make this country great again!

1. A bunch of old feminists with one foot in the grave who killed their children back in the 70s and now will die all alone = poetic justice

• Hey bumble puppy, if you are against abortion you should be pro contraception! But my guess is that you don really have much need for contraception…celibate be bumble puppy?

2. Looks like a bunch of old crones and goblins and orcs hahaha

seriously, looks like mordor vomited these creatures up haha

• This is what has happened to this country. People are out peacefully expressing their opinions and all you can do is insult, defame, and promote hatred. Do you talk to your mother, wife, or sister like that?Welcome to Trumpville, ladies and gentlemen, where freedom and righteous thought are insulted and idiocy and misogyny are celebrated.

3. My body, my choice, YOUR wallet!

And if you don’t give me your wallet, I will throw a hissy fit! Waah! Waah!

• It actually is your wallet when patients’ have worse health outcomes, preventative health screenings for women are NOT abortions, they also make it cheaper for you in the long run because it results in healthier women overall. I know words can be difficult, if you had read the above article, 10,000 women receive preventative healthcare screenings, meaning better health outcomes, meaning CHEAPER for the tax payer… Confusing concepts if you have lower intelligence level, I know. I am in my twenties, my insurance only covers for me to see planned parenthood providers for OBGYN visits, I have never once had an abortion. It’s nice to incorrectly stereotyped, but I am an Emergency Room nurse, and have saved more lives that I can count, I also deserve to have my breasts checked for breast cancer. Keep reading! Peace and love! I will never discriminate against you when you need my care brother!

4. So because you allegedly saved lives, you are an expert on health care economics? There are places other than Planned Parenthood to get your breasts checked.

• So because you’re a man , you’re an expert on woman’s reproductive health care? Planned parenthood is a community clinic that provides all kinds of healthcare services , including abortion , which is a legal medical pocedure .Hospitals provide abortions too, and so far they are able to receive Medicaid reimbursement. Under the new ACA, the closest clinic women’s health clinic that takes Medicaid is in King’s Ferry. If you have issues with abortion Hank, don’t have one. If you have issues with Planned Parenthood, then you are woefully ignorant of the services Planned parenthood provides , women’s healthcare needs and obviously women’s bodies. Affordable birth control, regular check ups, easy access to healthcare all create a healthier population and FEWER. Unintended pregnancies.