Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs / Sun City Editor

A man pulled over a car near the Mobil on West State Street early on Saturday and flagged down an ambulance for help treating a stab wound to the chest and neck, police said.

Man Flags Down Ambulance for Stab Wound in Ithaca

A man pulled over a car on the west end of Ithaca early on Saturday morning and flagged down an ambulance for help treating a stab wound to his chest and neck, Ithaca Police said.

Officers responded to the 500 block of West State Street in front of the Mobil gas station at 1:46 a.m. and met with State Police who were on the scene, Ithaca Police Lt. John Joly said in a statement.

An IPD officer on the scene said the man had gotten out of his car and flagged down a Bangs Ambulance for help treating an injury.

The unidentified man requested treatment for a stab wound to his left upper chest and neck, Joly said.

The lieutenant added in an email to The Sun that the stabbing “is reported to have happened on the Commons,” although he cautioned that the location had not yet been confirmed.

Bangs employees provided treatment to the man, who appeared to be conscious and speaking with troopers as he lay on a stretcher in the back of an ambulance around 2 a.m. A red sedan was parked on the street in front of the ambulance.

The man was later transported to Guthrie Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, Pennsylvania, police said. Joly said the man is in stable condition and would likely be released from the hospital on Saturday morning.

Ithaca Police are asking that anyone with information that may help their investigation contact IPD by calling the dispatch line at 607-272-3245.