Alpha Xi Delta by Adrian BoteanuIMGP4370

Adrian Boteanu / Sun Staff Photographer

Alpha Xi Delta Sorority Suspended; First Sorority Suspension in 5 Years

The Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life has placed the sorority Alpha Xi Delta on interim suspension following a “serious violation of the University Recognition Policy,” according to a University statement.

The suspension was enacted on March 30. While the cause for the suspension was noted as a violation of the policy, the statement did not any provide further details.

This suspension marks the first disciplinary action for a sorority this year. Three fraternities have been placed on suspension status earlier this semester, including Sigma Phi Epsilon, Lambda Chi Alpha and Pi Kappa Alpha.

This also marks the first interim suspension for a sorority since fall 2012, when Alpha Epsilon Phi was placed on suspension. That year, Alpha Epsilon Phi was placed on provisional recognition status for two years due to a violation of the anti-hazing policy.

While on interim suspension, the sorority “may not engage in any activities other than operation of its residence,” according to the statement. The recognition status of the sorority will not change while on interim suspension.

“Panhellenic does not comment on active cases but we have full confidence in OSFL as they do their fact finding,” said Panhellenic Council President Caitlin Gleason ’18.

11 thoughts on “Alpha Xi Delta Sorority Suspended; First Sorority Suspension in 5 Years

1. Sheesh, will someone in the administration *please* grow a pair of , and just ban the Greek system altogether? Period. I mean, other than the fact that said institution(s) provides housing (which Cornell is too cheap to provide for all its students — total joke), and that the rich ‘mummies and daddies’ of some of the frat-brat crowd might stop writing checks, is there any reason to keep them around?

• Somebody didn’t get pledged, eh? You do realize that the Greeks and the athletes comprise somewhere around 90% of all donations, right?

• Whatever. I have no interest in ‘Greek life’, and neither do most of my classmates (most of whom have better things to do than the offerings of most fraternities getting A’s in double-major physical sciences being one of them). A number of schools have outright banned the Greek system (e.g., Middlebury), and they’re doing just fine. In fact, alumni donations *increased*, as a direct result. However, you just know Cornell would never pull the trigger on that. Same gutless admins who prostrate themselves before the Board of Trustees (who, with no irony, I suppose, are most frat brats themselves). Seriously.

And I have no problem with being selective. If a frat can demonstrate merit beyond ‘social life’ then fine. If a frat violates the rules, they’re gone. Period.

• Sure. Many reasons, but I think that the most important of which is that it provides a source of recreation, enjoyment, and belonging to a third of the student body. From an administrational perspective, there exists a particular responsibility toward fulfilling student interests in order to ensure the best possible university experience. Denying the ability to join Greek life is denying the choice that a substantial portion of students actively make — this is probably not in alignment with said responsibility.

More importantly, in order to address your points, your painting of “frat-brats” and “rich mummies and daddies” as representational of the Greek system is downright wrong, if not problematic. Given that you believe one sorority’s suspension to be indicative of the behavior of ALL 13 sororities or 3 fraternities’ suspension to be indicative of the behavior of ALL 36 fraternities, I think that there exists a cognitive bias rather that overrides an actual evaluation of the Greek system. Sure, there are some bad apples, but in this case they don’t spoil the bunch — through things such as philanthropy, social events, or just the formation of a community to live in, Greek life has objectively done some pretty good things as well.

At the end of the day, yes, it is reasonable to punish bad behavior done by individuals. However, no, it is not reasonable to punish the system writ large. You simply haven’t proved enough to show why that should be the case.