Several faculty members said they were troubled by Cornell's charges against Mitch McBride '17, pictured at a Feb. 28 University Assembly meeting, for sharing documents with The Sun.

Cameron Pollack / Sun Photography Editor

Faculty Fears ‘Chilling Effect’ After Cornell Charges Student for Sharing Documents

Mitch McBride ’17 walked into Day Hall on March 8 determined to come clean regarding internal working group documents that were published in The Sun.

When Christina Liang, an associate judicial administrator, asked McBride whether he had shared the documents, he said yes.

Two days later, Liang sent a plea agreement to McBride, offering to find him “responsible” for violating two sections of the Campus Code of Conduct.

Under the plea agreement, McBride would be put on disciplinary probation for three weeks; would have to write two, five-page reflection papers; and would have to meet with Senior Vice Provost Barbara Knuth, who also serves as dean of the Graduate School.

But McBride rejected the agreement because of an additional provision of the deal: The Office of the Judicial Administrator would maintain a disciplinary record for McBride until 2023.

McBride, who has been accepted by Georgetown Law, worried that pleading responsible and having a reprimand on his record for six years could keep him out of his dream school.

Weighing on him even more, McBride said, is his belief that the University is trying to make an example out of him and that a plea of “responsible” would set a dangerous precedent.

Agreeing to the plea deal, in McBride’s mind, would mean giving in to an overzealous Judicial Administrator’s office and tacitly endorsing Cornell’s narrowing definition of free speech and freedom of the press on campus.

“The broader picture is very troubling,” McBride said in a recent interview.

At least three faculty members agree with McBride, telling The Sun they believe the OJA’s case against McBride is “ludicrous,” “unjustified” and “Kafkaesque.”

Judicial Administrator Michelle Horvath, in response to an inquiry from The Sun sent to her and Liang, referred to Cornell Media Relations. “We’ll decline comment at this time,” said John Carberry, director of media relations.

“I believed that, principally, the community needed to be involved before such a drastic decision was going to be made," McBride said of his decision to share documents with this newspaper.

“I believed that, principally, the community needed to be involved before such a drastic decision was going to be made,” McBride said of his decision to share internal working group documents with this newspaper.

The University Hearing Board is scheduled to hear McBride’s case on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in 163 Day Hall.

The hearing will be public, which McBride requested and the University opposed, resulting in a ruling in favor of McBride and the public hearing by UHB Chair Prof. Timothy DeVoogd.

In February, McBride shared draft documents with The Sun from the Admissions and Financial Aid Working Group, which he served on, showing that Cornell was considering viewing the financial needs of transfer students as part of the admissions process, graduating students with more debt and admitting more international students who do not require financial aid.

The 43 pages have been viewed nearly 4,000 times, according to Scribd, the document-hosting website.

“I believed that, principally, the community needed to be involved before such a drastic decision was going to be made that was going to change the mission of the university from ‘any person, any study’ to any rich person,” he said. “We need to be going the opposite direction.”

McBride receives no financial aid, he said, but thought that if the University was considering moving away from a solely merit-based system of admissions, students should be involved in that decision.

On March 16, less than a week after McBride rejected the plea deal, Liang, the associate judicial administrator, informed the senior that he was being charged with violating the Code, alleging that he disclosed confidential information to The Sun.

McBride told The Sun he knew Knuth wanted the documents to be kept confidential, but he said no working group members ever made any written or oral agreements to do so while he served on the task force, beginning in spring of 2016.

Senior Vice Provost Barbara Knuth chaired the working group on which McBride served and from which he shared documents with The Sun.

Adrian Boteanu / Sun Staff Photographer

The OJA charged McBride with violating two provisions of the Code. The first is a section under Title III of the Code that makes it a violation “To forge, fraudulently alter, willfully falsify, or otherwise misuse University or non-University documents” and the second, under Title IV, compels students “to comply with any lawful order of a clearly identifiable University official acting in the performance of his or her duties.”

Prof. Kevin Clermont, law, was part of a team that revised the Code in 2007 and 2008 and told The Sun this week that neither of the provisions McBride is accused of violating apply to the circumstances in his case.

“Cornell is trying to stretch the Code to reach behavior that the Code does not cover,” Clermont said in an email.

If “misuse” is read broadly to include sharing purportedly confidential documents, that interpretation “would simply set the provision adrift,” he said, adding that the “idea is that ‘misuse’ takes its meaning from forge, alter, and falsify.”

As for not complying with a University official’s lawful order, Clermont said that provision can only apply when the order is made “to maintain public order” because of the New York Education Law under which the provision was adopted.

“The conception that a Cornell administrator can simply ‘order’ students and faculty to do things would radically alter the society we live in,” Clermont said. “That reading is airtight. The J.A. cannot charge him under Title IV.”

Prof. Richard Bensel, government, a member of the Faculty Senate, proposed a resolution on Wednesday that would make “proceedings in which a senior administrator prosecutes a member of the Cornell community … open and public if the defendant requests that they be open and public,” The Sun previously reported.

Bensel told The Sun on Thursday that Knuth made the initial incident report to the OJA, resulting in the investigation. Knuth did not respond to two requests for comment last week.

“There is a real problem in having the senior vice provost prosecuting Mitch for what I think is a trivial, unimportant [matter],” Bensel said, adding that the OJA said “there was no evidence of harm” stemming from McBride’s sharing of the documents.

“The most important of my worries is the extremely chilling effect,” Bensel said. “To go out and stomp on [students] like you’re stomping on a rat is crazy — it just makes no sense to me — and it isn’t the kind of values this University should have.”

Prof. Elizabeth Sanders, government, has been following McBride’s case and said the OJA’s prosecution is “excessively punitive, heavy-handed, and unjustified.”

“We need to shine more light on university governance and to institute far-reaching reforms that will check autocratic power and open up decision-making on major policies to much broader participation and publicity,” Sanders said in an email.

“Things like this happen far too often at our university, and they reflect very poorly on an institution that ostensibly celebrates openness and creative thinking.”

­­

23 thoughts on “Faculty Fears ‘Chilling Effect’ After Cornell Charges Student for Sharing Documents

1. From someone with inside knowledge of the JA’s office: Not at all surprised. Cornell’s JA abuses its power over students.
    That’s why Cornell leads the country in Title IX investigations: because if the JA decides they’re against you (almost always against males), they will find you guilty without any actual evidence.

2. The JA’s office has been very intimidating and oppressive in this inquiry, and so has been Vice Provost Barb Knuth. I am highly concerned about where the university is going with people like this in our leadership, targeting students purposely to ruin their future.

3. Barb Knuth should resign. After sabotaging the graduate student union vote and now punishing students for calling her out on horrible policy proposals, she is unfit to serve and is not fulfilling Ezra Cornell’s vision.

4. Does the JA have any oversight? McBride’s actions clearly are an example of a prudent whistle-blower. That is an objective fact. If the university wants to change the financial aid and admissions process, then they have a right to do so, but they also have an obligation to be open about it. Of course they won’t be because nobody would ever approve of this shit. I suppose when every facet of the administration is hopelessly corrupt it doesn’t really matter.

When I was a pre-frosh and received information about the whole campus code of conduct thing it immediately struck me as Orwellian bullshit and I decided to make a point of ignoring it. Now it seems to be more than benign BS but a direct enemy of the entire purpose of a university. We need to have protests to end the campus code of conduct and simply join the rest of the world instead of creating a bubble of lunacy and coercive behavioral control. Universities should not be their own little worlds with effectively their own governments totally detached from society at large.

5. This isn’t a surprise. Back in the early 90s I was railroaded in a similar fashion for an extremely minor offense. CU JA is terrible, with no redeeming qualities. They do not try to help, only hinder and obstruct.

• Yes, after following this situation for a while now I’m convinced the only professional and responsible action for Cornell at this point is to fire Dean Knuth. There have just been too many abuses and no accountability. A personnel change won’t solve all the problems but this one seems very, very warranted.

• “”A professor or curator with academic tenure has an appointment that lasts until retirement age, except for dismissal with just cause.”

6. Had to deal with the Cornell JA office one time during my tenure as an undergrad. I missed their phone call and they took the drastic step of suspending me on student center as a coercive action to get me to respond instead of respectfully trying to reach me. Some oversight is definitely needed. We are students and your customers, don’t treat us like criminals without due process!

• The Sun only disclosed Mitch’s name after Mitch himself publicly announced his actions and demanded that his hearing should be public.

7. Pingback: Cornell U. Faculty Members Criticize Prosecution of Student Whistle-Blower – The Ticker - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education

8. Barb Knuth should’ve been fired a long time ago. She doesn’t represent Cornell or it’s values. She works for the students- NOT the other way around.

9. Barb Knuth should’ve been fired a long time ago. She doesn’t represent Cornell or it’ values. She works for the students- NOT the other way around.

10. Barb Knuth has been rude to students and on interacting with her you can tell how she doesn’t not care about student opinions on any policy related matter. She treats it as a formality that she has to deal with. There are some administrators on campus very pro-students, who truly mean to make Cornell a more accessible campus for students from all backgrounds. She doesn’t seem to be one of them.

11. Has the Cornell faculty voiced its concern that militants at Middlebury violently shut down the Charles Murray speech and sent a faculty member to the hospital? That is what I call a chilling effect!

12. Some members of the Cornell University administration and the complete functioning of the JA office as a whole are clearly out of touch with the principles of innocent until proven guilty, the rights of individual, and the laws by which our ‘free’ society functions. The JA office needs to have a complete overhaul of personnel and policy. It, and my formally beloved alma mater, by their repeated abuse of students and violations of decency and respect for human rights has, until such honest and transparent overhauls take place, lost me as an active and proud alumnus. I have made my last Tower Club or any other donation of my time and money to her. Serious transparent self reexamination on the part of the university is long overdue. I have unsuccessfully tried to assist in this process for the last dozen years.

13. If indeed Cornell officials go through with this, I would have to say, Yes Virginia, there us abuse of power in our universities.
    Which by the way, without students , you have no job. They are shareholders in this ” company” called Cornell University.

14. Pingback: Cornell charges student for revealing it may start admitting more rich students - The College Fix