John Greenwood '20, the 19-year-old Cornell student arrested and charged with two misdemeanors following an assault in Collegetown in which a black student said he was punched and called the N-word.

Ithaca Police

Police Release Mugshot of Cornell Student Arrested Following Collegetown Assault

Responding to public records requests from The Sun and other news media, Ithaca Police on Thursday released the mugshot of the Cornell sophomore arrested following an assault in Collegetown that may have been a hate crime.

Police arrested John Greenwood ’20, who is 19, early on the morning of Sept. 15 after a black Cornell student said Greenwood punched him and called him the N-word on Eddy Street. Greenwood has been charged with assault and aggravated harassment, both misdemeanors, and a grand jury will likely decide in the next week whether Greenwood will face hate crime charges.

In the mugshot, which police released on Thursday afternoon, Greenwood appears to be wearing a red, hooded sweatshirt.

The victim, a Cornell junior who previously spoke to The Sun from the hospital on the condition of anonymity, said he was assaulted by four or five white men early in the morning after returning from a party.

“All white guys,” the victim told police, according to documents filed in Ithaca City Court. “I recognized one of them. He was wearing a white shirt, tall, skinny. He wore a red hoody afterwards.”

The injured student also told police that a man wearing a red sweatshirt “was the same one that was wearing a white shirt when he and his friends attacked me.”

Greenwood previously apologized in a statement for using “unacceptable and inappropriate language.” His lawyer, Ray Schlather J.D. ’76, said Greenwood was “in no way involved in any physical altercation of any kind” and did not commit a crime.

In a video obtained by The Sun, a man in a white shirt calls a student the N-word multiple times. The student being berated in that video is not the same student who was assaulted, and that altercation occurred about 30 minutes or an hour after the physical assault, witnesses have said.

Robert Freeman, executive director of the New York Committee on Open Government, told The Sun on Thursday that unless a charge is dismissed against an accused person, mugshots should be available to the public.

“So much about the law is related to common sense,” he said.

“When a person is arrested, he or she is arraigned during a public judicial proceeding,” Freeman continued. “That means that his or her face can be seen. Because that is so, our advice has always been — and the only court decision on the issue has confirmed — that the mugshot is public.”

Ithaca Mayor Svante Myrick ’09 said the city operates under a policy in which it does not voluntarily release mugshots except when a person is arrested for a felony.

The one case dealing with the issue of mug shots in New York, Freeman said, is the 1992 case, Planned Parenthood of Westchester, Inc. v. Town Board of the Town of Greenburgh.

The Collegetown assault led to a series of protests, largely led by Black Students United, culminating in the group delivering a list of 12 demands to President Martha Pollack and briefly occupying Willard Straight Hall.

• Siphiwe Trevah

My name is ROLAND GARY from USA, I have just experienced the wonders of papas love spell,that have been spread on the internet and worldwide, How he marvelously helped people all over the world to restore back their marriage and get back lost lovers, and also help to win lottery. I contacted him after going through so many testimonies from different people how he help to bring back ex lover back, i told him about my wife that abandoned me about 8 months ago, and left home with all i had..papasharon only told me to be happy that my problem was over since i contacted him and have peace of mind he will handle all in just 48 hrs, After the second day mercy called me and came back apologizing.He also gave a magic ring to play and i won a lot of money. if you need any help this is his whats app number +27630922041

• Adam

Big suprise, another spoiled yuppie who looks like he’s never worked a day in his life doesn’t respect other humans… Big surprise.

• bigredalumnus

“Who looks like”? That’s how he allegedly judged the victim.

• Adam

Sorry, I’m not sorry. I don’t feel sorry for any Cornell students or alumni. As a matter of fact everyone has struggles, Cornell people just have more of a fictionalized type problem. People fight, people slander, shake hands and get over it.

• Ezra Tank

You claim he’s a racist then making a sweeping racist statement describing him. BRAVO!

• Happy Jack

Sun, esp. Bogle-Borroughs, can’t get enough of lynch-mob journalism. They posted a large photo of this guy before, as if he were the only villain in the world. Identity politics sure twists the brain.

• Ezra Tank

How is this new news? I guess the racism fire was dying so the Sun had to put another log on the fire.