Cameron Pollack/Sun Senior Photographer

After last losing 7-6 to Massachusetts in 2016, the overtime victory meant vindication for the Red.

Women’s Lacrosse Downs Massachusetts in Double Overtime Nail-biter

With just 1:56 left in the second overtime period, senior captain Ida Farinholt eked out a last-minute goal to power Cornell women’s lacrosse past Massachusetts. Assisted by fellow senior captain Taylor Reed, Farinholt’s clutch shot brought the final score to 11-10.

The win marked several season firsts for the Red (4-2, 1-1 Ivy).  It was Cornell’s first victory on the road, breaking a string of disappointing defeats away from Schoelkopf.  It also marked the first time this season that the Red overcame a halftime deficit to win. The squad trailed the Minutewomen (4-3) 6-7 at the half.

“It gave our team confidence knowing that even in tight games we never give up and can pull out the win,” said Reed.

This win also meant vindication for Cornell, since they last met Massachusetts in the second round of the NCAA tournament in 2016, where they were defeated 7-6.

“We knew that they were going to be a scrappy team from the beginning,” said sophomore goalkeeper Katie McGahan. “Going into the game we were ready to fight hard.”

The Red’s fight paid off as it gutted out a double-overtime victory. The Red now enjoys a 3-1 advantage in the all-time series against the Minutewomen.

Cornell’s offense played prolifically, showcasing great depth with six different scorers. Junior captain Sarah Phillips set the tone with a goal in the first two minutes of the game. Junior Hannah O’Reilly, senior Taylor Reed, junior Tomasina Leska, and sophomore Caroline Allen each followed Phillips’ lead with one goal a piece in the first thirty minutes.

Reed and Allen further flexed their prowess with a hat trick each and senior midfielder Joey Coffy scored a goal in each half.

“We all knew we had to fight hard,” Reed said.

Despite a strong offensive showing, Cornell’s defense arguably was even more impressive.  After seven total goals were scored in the first 18 minutes of the second period, both teams did not score for the rest of regulation.

McGahan, who made 10 crucial saves throughout the game, proved key to the Red’s defensive success.

“I try to be as calm as I can during the game,” McGahan said.

She credits her teammates for much of her success.

“We have a really strong defense this year,” McGahan said. “Which makes my job a lot easier.”

Supporting McGahan, Cait Callahan and Farinholt caused four and three turnovers, respectively.  Cornell notched 27 turnovers in total, narrowly besting Massachusetts’ 26.

The Red next squares off against Syracuse at home, Tuesday, March 3rd.

“We took a lot of positives away from the game [against UMass] and are excited to face Syracuse,” Reed reflected.