Cornell Releases Class of 2017 Regular Decision Results

March 28, 2013 5:32 pm2 comments
Akane Otani

A tense wait for thousands of students ended shortly after 5 p.m. Thursday, as Cornell finished notifying 15.2 percent of its 40,006 applicants that they were accepted to the Class of 2017.

Data indicate that this year’s admissions cycle was one of the most competitive yet in Cornell’s history. The University’s overall acceptance rate dropped from last year’s 16.2 percent — a previous record low — to 15.2 percent this year, while the number of applicants rose from last year’s 37,812 to a record high of 40,006.

The increase in applicants marks a trend inCornell admissions over the years: since 2011, the number of applicants vying for a spot at Cornell has increased 9.9 percent, according to the undergraduate admissions report.

Along with seeing more students apply to Cornell, the University has seen its applicants’ SAT scores rise over the years. The Class of 2017’s median SAT I critical reading score was 720, compared to 710 last year. Its math score was 750, compared to 740 last year.

“Cornell continues to lead the Ivy League in attracting applicants for admission,” Lee Melvin, associate vice provost for enrollment, said in a University press release. “The increase in applications is notable, but our focus remains the quality of the applicant pool.”

Of the accepted students, 11 percent are the first generation in their family to attend college, according to the University.

Mirroring previous years, accepted students represent all 50 U.S. states, Washington D.C., Guam and Puerto Rico. Students from New York, California and New Jersey make up 45.3 percent of admitted students.

International students represent 82 different countries — an increase from last year’s 68. 155 of the accepted students are from China; 79 from the Republic of Korea; and 73 are from India.

Melvin said in the press release that the jump in countries represented by the student body is indicative of Cornell’s “global appeal.”

3,146 students were waitlisted, compared to 3,120 last year.

• Paresh Mungara

73 From India? really?

• John Paul

155 from China and 73 from India? Aren’t those numbers too high?