Cornell Tech Launches New Program in Connective Media

October 1, 2013 6:00 am0 comments

Cornell NYC Tech will offer a new, two-year masters of science degree in information systems with a concentration in connective media, University and city officials announced Tuesday.

The connective media program is “designed to train the entrepreneurial engineers and technologists desperately needed in the media sector,” according to a University press release. As part of the degree program, Cornell Tech is collaborating with companies including The New York Times, Tumblr, Facebook and Hearst Corporation, who will help refine the curriculum and provide real-world projects and mentorship for students.

Applicants to the program should hold a bachelor’s degree based in a science or engineering discipline, although those with an academic background in science and engineering will also be considered, according to the tech campus’ website.

Graduates will receive a Masters of Science degree in Information Systems from both Cornell University and the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Cornell’s partner for the tech campus.

The degree will be the first offered by the Joan and Irwin Jacobs Technion-Cornell Innovation Institute at Cornell Tech. It is currently accepting applications, with classes set to begin in the fall of 2014, according to a University press release.

This is the third program to be offered through Cornell Tech. The University’s Masters of Engineering in Computer Science program began in January with a “beta class” in temporary space donated by Google in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, The Sun previously reported. In July, the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management announced it would offer an MBA at Cornell Tech.

Cornell Tech plans to move to its permanent location on Roosevelt Island in 2017 and complete construction on all academic and campus buildings in 2037.