Lawsuit: Cornell Destroyed $200K Of Horse Semen

November 7, 2013 1:00 am1 comment

By JINJOO LEE

Cornell is liable for destroying more than $212,000 worth of semen it collected from a Stanfordville, N.Y. woman’s horse, a jury said Monday.

Lynn Reed, owner of Fox Run Farm LLC — an equine breeding and equestrian training facility in Millbrook, N.Y. –– filed a notice of intent to sue the University, Cornell’s College of Veterinary Medicine and the Cornell University Hospital for Animals in January, according to The Journal. Reed alleged that the University was liable for destroying 212 units of semen collected from a Holsteiner horse, a German warmblood, in 2004.

Reed’s attorney, Anthony J. Siano, told The Journal that the veterinary staff harvested the horse’s semen and then stored it in a “defective cryogenic storage tank,” destroying the samples. In 2005, when Reed tried to collect the semen samples, Cornell staff found out that the samples had been destroyed and sent her a check for $2,045.

“Ms. Reed has fought for nearly nine years to redress the harm done to her business by Cornell and its personnel,” Siano said to The Journal. “What they destroyed was unique, valuable and nothing in the proof at trial established that Ms. Reed could replace what Cornell destroyed.”

The University has less than two weeks to file motions to overturn the jury’s decision, according to The Poughkeepsie Journal.

The University declined to comment regarding the case.

“In general, we do not comment on ongoing litigation,” said John Carberry, director of Media Relations.

After a week-long trial, the jury of Dutchess County, N.Y., decided to award Reed $212,841.83.

Comments

• Realist

When I saw the title, I thought I was reading the Onion.