Cornell Grad Programs Ranked in Top 10

By ANNIE BUI

In the U.S. News and World Report’s 2015 “Best Graduate Schools” list released Tuesday, eight of Cornell’s graduate engineering fields and three computer science specialties were ranked among the top 10 in their respective categories.

Additionally, Cornell Law School topped the chart for most diverse student body with 19 percent of its students coming from a multiracial background, according to the U.S. News and World Report website.

Overall, Cornell’s engineering graduate program remained in 13th place — the highest-ranked Ivy League school on the list. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology earned the top spot in the category, followed by Stanford University and the University of California, Berkeley.

Cornell ranked seventh on the 2013 U.S. News and World Report rankings for best undergraduate engineering programs, according to their website.

Data used to determine the graduate engineering rankings were gathered in fall 2013 and early 2014, according to the U.S. News and World Report website. The calculated average of 10 indicators — such as peer assessment score, research activity, doctoral degrees awarded and student-faculty ratio — determined the rankings.

For graduate computer science programs, Cornell ranked sixth in both programming language and computer theory with artificial intelligence ranking ninth, according to a University press release.

Overall, the University’s graduate computer science program ranked sixth, tying with the University of Washington, according to the U.S. News and World Report website.

Barbara Knuth, vice provost and dean of the Graduate School, said in a University press release that the recently-released rankings reflected on the “breadth” of Cornell’s education and were a “testament to the excellence” of faculty and students.

“Cornell is one of the top faculty-producing research institutions in the country and a top source of experts and innovators in industry, business, government and nonprofit positions,” she said.

In response to Cornell Law School ranked as the most diverse, Stewart J. Schwab, the Allan R. Tessler Dean, said the school was “proud of its commitment to diversity.”

“We believe that a vital, diverse student body enhances the education of every law student and better prepares them to serve in a multiethnic, multicultural society,” he said in the release.